Linksys wifi router - config for minimum open ports

Old December 15th 03, 09:46 PM posted to comp.dcom.sys.cisco,uk.telecom.broadband
MyndPhlyp

Default Linksys wifi router - config for minimum open ports

"Peter" wrote in message

I am about to get one of these (ethernet - ethernet/wifi product).

While it may seem bizzare to post this question before having it... it
will have to be configured for a fairly strict access list. The
following access list comes from a Cisco 803 router which works fine
in that application (www, email, ftp, sntp ONLY).

Is there an equivalent config for the Linksys?

I'll save you a bit of time and trouble since I already tried something
similar.

For my home network, I wanted to set up the Linksys (BEFSX41) to block all
unsolicited inbound and block all outbound except certain ports (HTTP, SMTP,
POP3, DNS, etc.). The short story is that doing so using Filters causes
things such as FTP to no longer function correctly. Filters take precidence
over everything including NAT. If the protocol does not swithc ports after
the initial connection, life is good.

The best you can hope for is to enable the Block WAN Requests to keep out
all the unsolicited traffic and build in a few (no more than 20) port
filters to block some of the LAN noise (137-139, etc) from getting out. It's
a far cry from "deny everything except."