Exchange Upgrades

Old December 16th 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Default Exchange Upgrades

I've noticed alot of exchanges being given RFS dates lately havn't hit their
triggers, some are at less than 50% but just being given RFS dates, some of
them not to long off.
Why do BT do this?

Old December 16th 03, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

The trigger level is there to represent the amount of money it takes to make
the exchage ADSL ready and so they have to come up with an amount of people
to make the exchange make money and not cost money.

Old December 16th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cyberdog

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:54:12 GMT, "NAZGUL" wrote:

The trigger level is there to represent the amount of money it takes to make
the exchage ADSL ready and so they have to come up with an amount of people
to make the exchange make money and not cost money.

Apparently it can costs B.T.anything from 250,000 up to 1 Million
to addon the extra equipment required for ADSL. And i have actually
seen them doing it and it took about 2 to 3 months to do.
Old December 16th 03, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

I know what the trigger level is.
I asked why exchanges are being enabled that HAVE NOT hit their trigger
levels!

s.com...

Old December 16th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Hewitt-Dutton" wrote in message
I've noticed alot of exchanges being given RFS dates lately havn't hit

their
triggers, some are at less than 50% but just being given RFS dates, some

of
them not to long off.
Why do BT do this?

Exchanges that are given RFS dates by BT have hit their trigger with only a
few exceptions.

These exceptions are where BT get together with (normally) a regional body
which helps with the cost of upgrading the exchange or promises other action
to promote broadband etc.. and that leads to schemes like
http://www.actnow.co.uk

Did you have a particular exchange in mind?

Regards
Sunil

Old December 16th 03, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steve" wrote in message
Did you have a particular exchange in mind?

Broadway, Worcs please ?

Broadway was given a RFS date by BT of the 12/11/2003 in July 2003.

It would have hit its trigger of 150 relatively soon anyway given its
progress (graph at http://tinyurl.com/zgz4)

However, it was one of around 65 exchanges covered under an agreement
Advantage West Midlands (press release at http://tinyurl.com/zgzd) which is
a regional development agency, so was given a RFS date before it reached its
trigger level.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 16th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Sunil Sood) wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
Did you have a particular exchange in mind?

Broadway, Worcs please ?

Broadway was given a RFS date by BT of the 12/11/2003 in July 2003.

It would have hit its trigger of 150 relatively soon anyway given its
progress (graph at
http://tinyurl.com/zgz4)

However, it was one of around 65 exchanges covered under an agreement
Advantage West Midlands (press release at http://tinyurl.com/zgzd)
which is
a regional development agency, so was given a RFS date before it
reached its
trigger level.

Regards
Sunil

Interesting, Thank you.

Steve

Old December 17th 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Not really any in mind, just noticed that of the ones anounced this week all
the ones that were done soon were given dates without hitting the trigger.
It's just kinda frustrating given I am waiting for my exchange to be given a
date having hit it's trigger level!!

Pete.

Old December 17th 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Hewitt-Dutton" wrote in message
Not really any in mind, just noticed that of the ones anounced this week

all
the ones that were done soon were given dates without hitting the trigger.
It's just kinda frustrating given I am waiting for my exchange to be given

date having hit it's trigger level!!

Ah - 17 of the 43 new RFS dates issued this week were "in partnership" with
the Scottish Lowland partnership (Fife & Ayrshire) - almost all to be
enabled in Feb/March.

As BT know those exchanges are going to be enabled, they can start their
planning earlier - leading to the shorter waiting period.

I understand that the team in BT Wholesale which issues new RFS dates is
currently snowed under, partly as its the holiday season but also due to the
number of exchanges hitting their triggers after BT's last announcement (
new triggers for exchanges which didn't have them before)

Regards
Sunil