SDSL ... any comments?

Old December 16th 03, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

Default SDSL ... any comments?

About to start work in January at a company who are currently paying a silly
amount of money for a 2Meg leased line. Rough calcuations suggest I can get
a 2Meg SDSL line from Bulldog (already check availability).

Or we could do mad and get a 4Meg ADSL line from Bulldog :-)

Question is, does anyone have experience with SDSL? Any comments?

Cheers,

Gerard

Old December 16th 03, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message
About to start work in January at a company who are currently paying a

silly
amount of money for a 2Meg leased line. Rough calcuations suggest I can

get
a 2Meg SDSL line from Bulldog (already check availability).

Or we could do mad and get a 4Meg ADSL line from Bulldog :-)

Question is, does anyone have experience with SDSL? Any comments?

As well as Bulldog, you may be interested in http://www.hi-velocity.it/ -
they resell Bulldog services (where available) and other ISP's services
where not, but for most services have a shorter minimum term and appear to
have better CS (though I have only experienced Bulldog's residential CS not
their business version)

If interested, contact their Sales Director - Anthony Bennett (anthony at
hi-velocity.it) and tell him I sent you, as he is quite a helpful
guy. (no other connection). He should also be able to help you choose
between ADSL/SDSL.

However, if you do go with Bulldog can you quote my referral code bdol 87431
while ordering... (I would get a little something)

ADSL/SDSL - personally, I would have thought that it a) depends on how
much upstream you thing you will need & b) for SDSL you would need a
dedicated phone line though if you are talking about replacing a leased line
I guess the cost of this isn't a factor.

Its also worth asking Bulldog etc what SLA's they will be able to offer and
if their are any differences between what they offer for ADSL and SDSL.

However, Bulldog's central London network is supposed to be very reliable as
its LLU and if you buy a "BT" SDSL line in Central London, they actually
provide it via Bulldog's network

Regards
Sunil

Old December 16th 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mitch.info

I don't think your boss will be too happy if the link goes down, With a
leased line you get what you pay for. A good SLA. Having a SDSL line is the
same as a leased line, but without the guarentee. I know what id rather pay
for if I had a lot of staff depending on it with the chance of losing a lot
of money.

Old December 16th 03, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Mitch.info" wrote in message
. ..

I don't think your boss will be too happy if the link goes down, With a
leased line you get what you pay for. A good SLA. Having a SDSL line is

the
same as a leased line, but without the guarentee. I know what id rather

pay
for if I had a lot of staff depending on it with the chance of losing a

lot
of money.

Of course I will present the pros and cons of each method, but 250 per
month vs 1000 per month is quite a saving. Plus the SDSL service does come
with a SLA.

With the 750 per month you could upgrade 24 computer a year. Or buy a new
phone system. That's quite useful and worth the possible downtime.

Old December 16th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mitch.info

I dont know why you posted here if you know all the answers already. Your
boss could lose over 750 in a day if his link is down. Anyway, here's
something i found.

SDSL links should be far cheaper than the E1 private virtual circuits (PVCs)
that most corporates currently rent, though exact prices will depend on the
profit margins of service providers. Leased lines cost 6,000 to 15,000 a
year, but provide dedicated bandwidth backed by service level agreements
(SLAs) guaranteeing data rates and availability, and compensation if terms
are not met. SDSL bandwidth is shared rather than dedicated, with contention
rates up to 10:1, and SLAs are rarely offered.

Old December 16th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message
About to start work in January at a company who are currently paying a

silly
amount of money for a 2Meg leased line. Rough calcuations suggest I can

get
a 2Meg SDSL line from Bulldog (already check availability).

Or we could do mad and get a 4Meg ADSL line from Bulldog :-)

Question is, does anyone have experience with SDSL? Any comments?

Cheers,

Gerard

The pricing you state in another post is for a 5:1 product. not the 1:1
which is what they have now.
Best compare eggs with eggs. , Also their SLA doesnt cover the router and
uses the classic words "We aim" and "schedualed works that we will notify
you off" so no guarentee there of service.

So the saving will make up for the possiblity of a worse service. good luck
explaining that one.

Ian

Old December 16th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Mitch.info" wrote in message

I dont know why you posted here if you know all the answers already. Your
boss could lose over 750 in a day if his link is down. Anyway, here's
something i found.

Thank for the lesson on how to run a network but I posted here because my
experience of SDSL is zero. ADSL, E1s, DS-3 etc I know a great deal about. I
know how SDSL operates, the technologies involved but have no pratical
knowledge. That is why I posted here. It could be that despite it claims, it
has many, many problems.

If we were a business that could not function without the Internet for a set
period of time then I'd agree with everything you are saying. But we are
not.

Old December 16th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

Mitch.info wrote:
I dont know why you posted here if you know all the answers already.

He posted here to ask for comments. There's no suggestion he knew all
the answers already. Here's something I found:

http://www.sdsl-adsl.co.uk/sdsl-uk_Contact.htm

SDSL services are available on a 20:1, 10:1, 5:1 and even 1:1 basis with
an SLA of 99.85% uptime.

Old December 16th 03, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 16 Dec 2003, Bat Guano [email protected] wrote:

http://www.sdsl-adsl.co.uk/sdsl-uk_Contact.htm

SDSL services are available on a 20:1, 10:1, 5:1 and even 1:1 basis with
an SLA of 99.85% uptime.

Thanks for the summary, the link, and commonsense :-) Peter M
Old December 16th 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Ian" wrote in message

The pricing you state in another post is for a 5:1 product. not the 1:1
which is what they have now.
Best compare eggs with eggs. , Also their SLA doesnt cover the router and
uses the classic words "We aim" and "schedualed works that we will notify
you off" so no guarentee there of service.

So the saving will make up for the possiblity of a worse service. good

luck
explaining that one.

Once again, thank you for comments regarding how to do my job. All I wanted
to know was if anyone had experience using SDSL. So far, most people have
chimed in with suggestions about whether I should pick SDSL over a leased
line.

Any sensible advice based on experience of SDSL out there?