PCI or USB

Old December 16th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark W

Default PCI or USB

I had a bad experience with a 56K USB modem, it seemed to suck CPU cycles
and slow my whole PC down.

I guess ADSL USB modems don't do this, or a lot of people would be
complaining?

Are PCI modems generally better?

Old December 16th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:35, "Mark W" [email protected] wrote:

I guess ADSL USB modems don't do this, or a lot of people would be
complaining?

some people are happy with them, some (inc me) have had problems in
the past.

Are PCI modems generally better?

They're in a similar price bracket and the one I've set up works fine.
The bulk of people I know use routers - I'd recommend a router anytime!

Old December 16th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

- And on Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:35:26 -0000, it was spake thus said in message "Mark W" [email protected]:

I had a bad experience with a 56K USB modem, it seemed to suck CPU cycles
and slow my whole PC down.

I guess ADSL USB modems don't do this, or a lot of people would be
complaining?

Are PCI modems generally better?

I've had a PCI for ages, Connexant, 20 quid from a PC fair... Excellent, no
complaints at all...

A friend's gone the Wireless router route & there would appear to be not
difference in speed as far as we can tell....

Each to their own I always say...
--
Nick in Northallerton
nrw7 on Yahoo! Messenger & nickw7coc on MSN Messenger too !
Old December 17th 03, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:43:26 +0000, Niall
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:35:26 -0000, "Mark W" [email protected] wrote:

I had a bad experience with a 56K USB modem, it seemed to suck CPU cycles
and slow my whole PC down.

I guess ADSL USB modems don't do this, or a lot of people would be
complaining?

Are PCI modems generally better?

Anything's better than USB. Unless you're sure you will only ever want
to connect on computer, get a modem/router.

A pci card combined with a linux box makes a great router - far more
powerful and flexible than any of the circa 100 quid adsl routers you
can buy, which in my experience have somewhat dodgy software, and poor
logging of errors.
--
Dan Ros, Nildram.

The views expressed in this message may
not be that of Nildram Ltd unless indicated.
Old December 17th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 17 Dec 2003, Dan wrote:

far more powerful and flexible than any of the circa 100 quid adsl
routers you can buy

Temporarily ignoring the miniature PCs that'd go in a shoebox
and need minimal cooling, I'd happily exchange my 25 quid Ebuyer
router with a linux solution if it was quiet and fitten in a (big)
box of chocolates :-) Yes, I have a spare PC or three, and I can
put something running linux in the garage for my network, but I am
not yet convinced it is a buy / plug-in / leave solution to use a
PC running linux (at least not a 15 minute job :-) Peter M.
Old December 17th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631 uttered in
:

On 17 Dec 2003, Dan wrote:

far more powerful and flexible than any of the circa 100 quid adsl
routers you can buy

Temporarily ignoring the miniature PCs that'd go in a shoebox
and need minimal cooling, I'd happily exchange my 25 quid Ebuyer
router with a linux solution if it was quiet and fitten in a (big)
box of chocolates :-) Yes, I have a spare PC or three, and I can

Well, they're not 25 quid, but shuttle make some nice small form-factor
cases.

Wander OT:
I used to work at an ISP in the Caribbean, and one of our services was
wireless internet (this is ~8 years ago now) to local businesses. I
managed to build a floppy disk based linux distro with FTP access, telnet
(ssh wasn't known to me), wireless support, ethernet support, routing
support etc. The only part I never got working was the ability to use a 4k
block at the end of the disk as a R/W area for loading config changes.
Beyond that, it was darn stable. The hardware had issues though, being
stored in a shack on the top of one of the taller buildings in town. Not a
place to run a P4!

We ended up using JNOS instead. NT couldn't handle the job.

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nana = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old December 17th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:46:55 +0000, Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631
wrote:

On 17 Dec 2003, Dan wrote:

far more powerful and flexible than any of the circa 100 quid adsl
routers you can buy

Temporarily ignoring the miniature PCs that'd go in a shoebox
and need minimal cooling, I'd happily exchange my 25 quid Ebuyer
router with a linux solution if it was quiet and fitten in a (big)
box of chocolates :-) Yes, I have a spare PC or three, and I can
put something running linux in the garage for my network, but I am
not yet convinced it is a buy / plug-in / leave solution to use a
PC running linux (at least not a 15 minute job :-) Peter M.

Some money to be made for someone packaging a dirt cheap linux box +
adsl card + smoothwall or similar, I reckon.

Old December 17th 03, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Pearce

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:01:21 +0000, AceMan wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:34:06 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

LOL.

Ok, point taken. Coulda phrased it a bit differently for for us
pedantics tho

I believe you mean pedants, sir. ;-)

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Hehe, somehow I knew you'd spot mistake that right after I posted it

You are indeed right sir. My humblest apologies.

Shall I? ----- Naaahhh - I'll let it go.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Old December 17th 03, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Pearce

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:15:50 +0000, AceMan wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:34:53 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

Hehe, somehow I knew you'd spot mistake that right after I posted it

You are indeed right sir. My humblest apologies.

Shall I? ----- Naaahhh - I'll let it go.

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Ooops, didn't even spot it at first. Lemme
guess.......humblest/humble?

Damn, what a day I'm having!!

Keep looking! (hint, the line previous)

http://www.pearce.uk.com