Connection type?

Old December 17th 03, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vibes

Default Connection type?

One of the broadband tests I am trying to use asks whether my connection is
Normal, or PPP..., or other things.

How do I tell which type I have?

Thanks

Old December 17th 03, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vibes

Thanks,

How do you in fact know it is PPPoa?

Also, advertised speed is up top 150 kbps (lowest monthly fee) - elsewhere
references in test machines to ADSL at 512 something - connection to
Tiascali/options shows speed set at 64K.

What is the difference between these 3 and which is the one I should pay
most attention to?

Tests appear to show, allowing for the variables they speak of, my download
speed is 'very slow' for ADSL - 64K - Win98SE - PPPoa

Thanks

Peter wrote:
You have PPPoA

Old December 17th 03, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gysen

Vibes wrote:
How do you in fact know it is PPPoa?

If it wasn't then you wouldn't be able to connect.

Tests appear to show, allowing for the variables they speak of, my download
speed is 'very slow' for ADSL - 64K - Win98SE - PPPoa

Is that 64 kiloBITS - kb - per second (crap) or 64 kiloBYTES - kB - per
second (excellent)? If you're on 150kb/sec ADSL then there's no way it
can be 64kB.

Old December 17th 03, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vibes

Thanks gain.

The test runs, the next window shows a series of drop-down menus, left to
right, i.e. I have to complete, which I do as 'ADSL - 64K - Win98SE -
PPPoa'. I then click 'recommend' and I get the next page with info on my
performancer.

The 64K is in fact '64K DATA' (in Tiscali
account/connection/settings/connect using/configure). I cannot find any
reference anywhere in my PC to whether the 64 is BITS or BYTES per second.

If 64K DATA does not tell us that, where can I find this info? It does not
appear either in the Tiscali website that I can see.

X are the drop down menus that you have to complete before the test results

Old December 17th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bat Guano

All ADSL broadband in the UK over the BT phone network is PPPoA - except
that BT just upgraded the network to support PPPoE - but as you're with
Tiscali, you're most likely using PPPoA.
Unfortunately, the Tiscali 150k product isn't fast enough to be
considered broadband, even though it is based on a 2 meg connection
which Tiscali then throttle back.
I imagine their throttling may be over-zealous in your case.

Vibes wrote:

Thanks,

How do you in fact know it is PPPoa?

Also, advertised speed is up top 150 kbps (lowest monthly fee) - elsewhere
references in test machines to ADSL at 512 something - connection to
Tiascali/options shows speed set at 64K.

What is the difference between these 3 and which is the one I should pay
most attention to?

Tests appear to show, allowing for the variables they speak of, my download
speed is 'very slow' for ADSL - 64K - Win98SE - PPPoa

Thanks

Peter wrote:

You have PPPoA

Old December 18th 03, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:33:58 +0000, Anton Gysen
wrote:

If you're on 150kb/sec ADSL then there's no way it
can be 64kB.

except its probably provided over a 2M ADSL link so it can easily
happen if the throttling is broke

Phil