Free modem with ether, not USB

Old December 17th 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cook

Default Free modem with ether, not USB

Hi,

Looks like my new house isn't serviceable by NTL so I have to switch
to a BT line.

Can anyone tell me which ISPs offer free ETHERNET adsl modems, not
USB. I have a router and need an ether connection to the modem.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old December 17th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Paul Cook" wrote in message
om...
Looks like my new house isn't serviceable by NTL so I have to switch
to a BT line.

Can anyone tell me which ISPs offer free ETHERNET adsl modems, not
USB. I have a router and need an ether connection to the modem.

Very few ISP's have ever given free ethernet modems with their service -
especially for "home" connections.

You are much better off choosing your ISP based on the services/feature set
you want (and perhaps cheap/free activation) and then buying an adsl
modem/router seperately.

Virtually all adsl ethernet modems act as routers as well, but if you want
your existing router to handle the networking, you should be able to tell
the ADSL modem/router to just pass the IP traffic straight on (i.e. not
using the "router" part of the ADSL modem/router)

Maybe something like QuickFind Code: 48448 on ebuyer.com (Code 48449 is the
4 port version)

Regards
Sunil

Old December 17th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Markus G. Klötzer

"Sunil Sood" wrote:

Maybe something like QuickFind Code: 48448 on ebuyer.com (Code 48449 is the
4 port version)

I take it that on the 4 port version you can run a number of different
comuters, whereas on the 1 port version you only can connect one?

cu

mgk
--
Should spam be outlawed?
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20010219
Old December 17th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Markus G. Klötzer" wrote in message
"Sunil Sood" wrote:

Maybe something like QuickFind Code: 48448 on ebuyer.com (Code 48449 is

the
4 port version)

I take it that on the 4 port version you can run a number of different
comuters, whereas on the 1 port version you only can connect one?

No, as Mugwump says you can do as much with the 1 port as the 4 port, you
would just need to daisychain hubs/switches on it...

Normally, I would go for the 4 port one as there is only a £5 difference,
but as the OP said that he already had another router that he preferred to
use..

Regards
Sunil

Old December 17th 03, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

Paul Cook" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Looks like my new house isn't serviceable by NTL so I have to switch
to a BT line.

Can anyone tell me which ISPs offer free ETHERNET adsl modems, not
USB. I have a router and need an ether connection to the modem.

FREE modems are not free.

You can get ADSL from 18.99 a month without a free modem or pay 27.99 or
whatever it is with a free modem - similar to phone subsidies.

If you want a router than I would suggest something like a plusnet 21.99 a
month account and sourcing your own or going for a package with them that
includes a router (a 'free' router if you like, but they don't insult their
customers intelligence by saying so).

Sam

Cheers,

Paul.

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.