Interference from christmas lights

Old December 17th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Hatton

Default Interference from christmas lights

After tearing my hair out for days - I finally found the cause of my
ADSL router losing sync. Every evening around tea time, my router
would suddenly lose connection. The line light would stay off for 10
seconds, then it would flash orange (negotiating) for 10 seconds, then
go to green (connected) for about 10 seconds. Then it would repeat
that same cycle for the whole evening until exactly midnight when all
of a sudden it would start to work normally again. Next night,
exactly the same and so on...

My wife - bless her - managed to come up with the coincidence between
this problem and the putting up of the crimbo lights last week. I
have a single rope light along the front of my house about 15m long.
This light has a control box which sets the different patterns of
flashing. While ever this rope light is on, the adsl router loses the
plot. When the light goes off (timer set to go off at midnight) the
line comes back to life.

I fitted a good filter in the supply to the rope light but still have
same problem. Anyone have any other ideas ?

Cheers

Jim
Old December 17th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On 17 Dec 2003 09:10:36 -0800, (Jim Hatton) wrote:

[...]

At a guess - the rope-light passes close to your phoneline at some
point. If this is the case you'll have to move one or the other!

Regards,
Harry.

Old December 17th 03, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

[...]

Heh - one for support departments to keep in mind over xmas, I think.

Make sure the crimbo lights don't run parallel to the phone line, make
sure the switcher box gizmo is away from the phone line.
--
Dan Ros, Nildram.

The views expressed in this message may
not be that of Nildram Ltd unless indicated.
Old December 17th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Jim Hatton
wrote:
[...]

The fact that the filter didn't work suggests that the interference isn't
going back down the mains cable, but is radiating from the lights
themselves. You might be able to verify this by tuning an AM radio to a
blank channel and holding it near the lights.

Where is this 15m long line of flashing lights in relation to the
telephone cable. Is it parallel to it, perhaps? You may be able to effect
some screening by wrapping the lights in perforated metal foil and
earthing it, if this is practicable. Otherwise it may be a case of
weighing up your priorities and deciding which you'd rather do without.

Rod.

Old December 17th 03, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aj

Cancel christmas ?

Old December 18th 03, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

dont believe you !!!!!
you must be trying to duck the whole christmas thing!!!!
:-)

om...

Old December 18th 03, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Jim Hatton
writes
I fitted a good filter in the supply to the rope light but still have
same problem. Anyone have any other ideas ?

If it's got a non flashing mode try using that, other wise fitting some
capacitors across the output side of the PSU might work, and try moving
any lights/cables etc. as far away from the phone line as possible.

I wonder if anyone's Xmas lights are killing their neighbours ADSL? That
could be mightily off-****ing.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old December 18th 03, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Hatton

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I tried the constant, non-flashing
mode and that works a treat. All of the flashing settings cause the
interference. Phew - cheers all.

Jim

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Jim Hatton
writes

Old December 18th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Jim Hatton
writes
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I tried the constant, non-flashing
mode and that works a treat. All of the flashing settings cause the
interference. Phew - cheers all.

A classic demonstration of the sensitivity of the OFDM modulation system
to impulsive noise!

Jim

"bof" wrote in message
In message , Jim Hatton