BT Broadband and Routers

Old December 17th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default BT Broadband and Routers

This question has been asked many times but I cannot find an answer in
this group anywhere, so...

We have just ordered BT Broadband (the basic home package) and ideally
want to setup the connection so that 4 computers can access the
internet via this connection at any one time.

Im going to get a router to do this, however I dont know that much
about them. With the modem that was going to be supplied with this
package, it would be plugged into a PC and then everytime you went to
access the internet a connection would be made and you would be
assigned a dynamic IP Address.

With a router how does the connection work and how is the router
configured? I have setup BT Broadband for someone else using th USB
modem and a username and password was required for the connection -
does this mean the router must be configured with these?

Also does the router not require a static IP Address? Finally how
would the PCs connect to the Internet - by configuring the gateway??

Thanks in advance
Old December 17th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
This question has been asked many times but I cannot find an answer in
this group anywhere, so...

We have just ordered BT Broadband (the basic home package) and ideally
want to setup the connection so that 4 computers can access the
internet via this connection at any one time.

No problem works fine BT wont give you any help though

Im going to get a router to do this, however I dont know that much
about them. With the modem that was going to be supplied with this
package, it would be plugged into a PC and then everytime you went to
access the internet a connection would be made and you would be
assigned a dynamic IP Address.

the router is assigned this,

With a router how does the connection work and how is the router
configured? I have setup BT Broadband for someone else using th USB
modem and a username and password was required for the connection -
does this mean the router must be configured with these?

Yes

Also does the router not require a static IP Address?

No.

Finally how
would the PCs connect to the Internet - by configuring the gateway??

Depends easiest way is to setup the router as a DHCP server. then configure
the PCs as DHCP clients

Thanks in advance

No Problem

Ian Plain

www.cyber-cottage.co.uk
www.bathford-broadband.co.uk

Old December 17th 03, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

"Ian" wrote in
:

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The chances are the supplied ADSL modem has a USB interface only,
and so cannot be connected to a router, which requires an Ethernet
wire. So you'll need an ADSL router i.e. router with built-in ADSL
modem. Beware there are also "DSL/Cable" routers on the market that
don't have the modem and so won't do the biz.

--
BRG
===
Old December 17th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Simon
wrote:
[...]

You plug the router into the modem, or if it is one of the combined units
that includes a modem, you plug it into the phone socket, and you plug
however many computers you want into the ethernet sockets, extending them
with additional hubs or switched if required.

If there is a modem supplied with the "package", and it is too late to
change your mind about it, it will probably be a USB device, so you will
need a router with a USB *input* connection. Better still, throw the USB
device away and get a proper combined modem/router/firewall/switch.

You give each of your computers a static address in the range 192.168.0.x
or 192.168.1.x depending on the default address of the router, probably
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Go to the setup page of the router by typing
its address into a web browser, and switch DHCP off. Enter your user
details for your ISP in the appropriate setup page, tick "always on" if
it is an option, and let the router do all the clever stuff.

The addresses in the range 192.168.x.x are local addresses on your
network, and every device, including the router, must have one. Your
router will also be given an IP address by your ISP, which is the address
your entire network will present to the outside world. It doesn't need to
be static. Different ISPs have different policies on this. In practice,
even if it is nominally dynamic, if you leave your router switched on all
the time it will keep the same address anyway.

Rod.

Old December 17th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Brg wrote:
The chances are the supplied ADSL modem has a USB interface only,
and so cannot be connected to a router, which requires an Ethernet
wire.

Not completely true. Routers with USB inputs do exist, but you end up
with a messy arrangement with two boxes instead of one, two power
supplies, and another interface with software that can go wrong. When
you can get everything in one box for a comparable price, this seems
the better way to go.

Rod.

Old December 17th 03, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

Roderick Stewart wrote in
:

In article , Brg wrote:
The chances are the supplied ADSL modem has a USB interface
only, and so cannot be connected to a router, which requires an
Ethernet wire.

Not completely true. Routers with USB inputs do exist, but you
end up with a messy arrangement with two boxes instead of one,
two power supplies, and another interface with software that can
go wrong. When you can get everything in one box for a
comparable price, this seems the better way to go.

Rod.

Yes, point accepted: right answer, poor explanation on my part.

The economics argument is the more important IMO. Cable modems
appear to [usually] have both USB and Ethernet interfaces... why
not ADSL, I wonder?

--
BRG
===
Old December 17th 03, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon" wrote in message
om...

With a router how does the connection work and how is the router
configured? I have setup BT Broadband for someone else using th USB
modem and a username and password was required for the connection -
does this mean the router must be configured with these?

Yes, this information is stored within the router - normally entered via a
web based configuration page

Also does the router not require a static IP Address?

It will have a static address "internally" - i.e. on your home network on a
private IP range (something like 10.0.0.38) so you can access the
configuration sction oif your modem/router from one of your computers

However, the public IP address your ISP allocates can be either static or
dynamic - it will make no difference to the router.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 17th 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Pilbeam

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

See
or http://tinyurl.com/owlu for a possible solution. Check out the
reviews as well

Old December 17th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
This question has been asked many times but I cannot find an answer in
this group anywhere, so...

We have just ordered BT Broadband (the basic home package) and ideally
want to setup the connection so that 4 computers can access the
internet via this connection at any one time.

I would suggest that the modem is next to useless unless you want to share
via the pc with broadband. Otherwise you would need a router and the modem
would be useless.

Why people go with BT Broadband and then ask these questions is beyond me,
get a 21.99 plusnet account or similar and pay the 58.75 or whatever it is
or even the 24.99 with modem and activation included - much cheaper than BT
Broadband and you get decent email and web services and support.

The buy a router seperatly for your network, or even choose a package with a
router. Why pay rip off subs to bt broadband to subsidise a modem that you
don't really want.

Im going to get a router to do this, however I dont know that much
about them. With the modem that was going to be supplied with this
package, it would be plugged into a PC and then everytime you went to
access the internet a connection would be made and you would be
assigned a dynamic IP Address.

With a router how does the connection work and how is the router
configured? I have setup BT Broadband for someone else using th USB
modem and a username and password was required for the connection -
does this mean the router must be configured with these?

Yes, the router will have a web config, it will stay connected, just put in
the details.

Also does the router not require a static IP Address? Finally how
would the PCs connect to the Internet - by configuring the gateway??

No, although dynamic ip addresses will actually often be static, particuarly
with a router as you won't be logging off very often.

Sam
Thanks in advance

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old December 18th 03, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

SNIP
Why people go with BT Broadband and then ask these questions is beyond me,
get a 21.99 plusnet account or similar and pay the 58.75 or whatever it is
or even the 24.99 with modem and activation included - much cheaper than

BT
Broadband and you get decent email and web services and support.

SNIP
Not sure about the OP but BT can be the only economic option if the user has
HH or Midband and isnt at the end of their 12 month contract.
As BTBB will waive conversion from HH activate free, supply modem and
normally give 1 months free rental.
so for example if the user was 3 months into a midband contract the savings
are in the HUNDREDS of pounds against other ISPs.
And in most cases a BTBB user will not have any need of an ISPs email or web
service as they will have that supplied by a hosting company. And even for
out of contract customers the likes of Plusnet , Bulldog and Zen wont waive
conversions to get customers.
Remember BTBB is just a connection to the internet and as such the support
is not that relevent.

Ian