2TB per day news ??

Old December 17th 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

Default 2TB per day news ??

Zen's latest excuse for the current state of their news server is that it
was only designed to handle 400GB of traffic per day, when they're now
getting 2 Terra-Bytes per day.

This seems an outrageous amount, can anyone confirm or deny, or better yet
point me in the direction of a site that gathers general Usenet stats.

Zen don't take any of the clara.* groups, so is 2TB per day realistic ??

Old December 18th 03, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Draxen" wrote in message
Zen's latest excuse for the current state of their news server is that it
was only designed to handle 400GB of traffic per day, when they're now
getting 2 Terra-Bytes per day.

This seems an outrageous amount, can anyone confirm or deny, or better yet
point me in the direction of a site that gathers general Usenet stats.

Zen don't take any of the clara.* groups, so is 2TB per day realistic ??

According to Clara they currently take just under 1TB a day (955M) in
incoming feeds "and we transmit about 300Mb/s to our peers, and 750Mb/s to
our customers"

They expect to go over 1TB in incoming feeds "soon"

Regards
Sunil

Old December 18th 03, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:19:22 -0000, "Draxen"
wrote:

Zen's latest excuse for the current state of their news server is that it
was only designed to handle 400GB of traffic per day, when they're now
getting 2 Terra-Bytes per day.

This seems an outrageous amount, can anyone confirm or deny, or better yet
point me in the direction of a site that gathers general Usenet stats.

Zen don't take any of the clara.* groups, so is 2TB per day realistic ??

This sounds about right - but I'll check with our news expert
tomorrow.

I doubts that the clara* groups would take much of that. Most of
the feed is in the alt* area (no surprise there).

Many news providers are finding life difficult with current
volumes, particularly as the typical rate is now saturating a 100MB
ethernet connection.

Regards,
Harry.

Old December 18th 03, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

I just got an email from GigaNews announcing their service upgrade which now
means they have 30 days of retention on binary groups. They say this
accounts for 30TB of data, so that seems to me like 1TB a day. So Zens 2TB
seems way over the top especialy as they will almost certainly not have as
good completion as GN.

--
/Slugsie

Old December 18th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hearn

"Draxen" wrote in message
Zen's latest excuse for the current state of their news server is that it
was only designed to handle 400GB of traffic per day, when they're now
getting 2 Terra-Bytes per day.

This seems an outrageous amount, can anyone confirm or deny, or better yet
point me in the direction of a site that gathers general Usenet stats.

Zen don't take any of the clara.* groups, so is 2TB per day realistic ??

You don't say whether the 2 TB is for feeds or including outgoing data.

Even if its 1TB then that's still signficantly more than 400GB.