Swapping ADSL modems

Old December 18th 03, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Stevensons

Default Swapping ADSL modems

Hi,

Having had enough of ICS & inheriting a router I decided to get a modem I
could plug into it, the BT Voyager 100 doesn't have a LAN port, so I've got
a Netgear DM602 that I'd like to swap over.

Trouble is I can't get it to work... I'm just trying to get the modem
working on 1 PC for now, I'll worry about the router later. Changed TCP/IP &
DNS settings to obtain automatically & the thing's plugged in & all the
relevant lights are on. When I try to open http://192.168.0.1 to setup the
modem I get page not found messages.

I've been through the trouble shooting guide - double check TCP/IP setting,
restart, unplug modem for 10 secs, restart. Repair this connection on the
LAN card says it fails with finding IP address.

Frankly I'm stumped, I can't imagine it's the LAN card as it works fine with
ICS. Hopefully I'm doing something obviously daft that someone can point out
for me.

Any suggestion most welcome.

Thanks.

Andy

Old December 18th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

The Stevensons wrote:

Hi,

Having had enough of ICS & inheriting a router I decided to get a modem I
could plug into it, the BT Voyager 100 doesn't have a LAN port, so I've got
a Netgear DM602 that I'd like to swap over.

Trouble is I can't get it to work... I'm just trying to get the modem
working on 1 PC for now, I'll worry about the router later. Changed TCP/IP &
DNS settings to obtain automatically & the thing's plugged in & all the
relevant lights are on. When I try to open http://192.168.0.1 to setup the
modem I get page not found messages.

What happens when you ping 192.168.0.1?

Old December 18th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:28:30 -0000, "The Stevensons"
wrote:

Repair this connection on the
LAN card says it fails with finding IP address.

which suggests that the modem is not providing a DHCP server

is 192.168.0.1 the IP address assumed by the modem ? if so then you
need to allocate an address manually to the ethernet card 192.168.0.2
or similar

ICS usually allocates that address 192.168.0.1 to the ethernet card,
if you still have that as the card's address then what does the modem
use ? It needs a differnet address otherwise talking to 192.168.0.1 is
the smae as talking to 127.0.0.1 ie you're talking to yourself

what is the modem, BTW ?

Phil
Old December 18th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Stevenson

Alexander Mann wrote in message ...
The Stevensons wrote:

Hi,

Having had enough of ICS & inheriting a router I decided to get a modem I
could plug into it, the BT Voyager 100 doesn't have a LAN port, so I've got
a Netgear DM602 that I'd like to swap over.

Trouble is I can't get it to work... I'm just trying to get the modem
working on 1 PC for now, I'll worry about the router later. Changed TCP/IP &
DNS settings to obtain automatically & the thing's plugged in & all the
relevant lights are on. When I try to open http://192.168.0.1 to setup the
modem I get page not found messages.

What happens when you ping 192.168.0.1?

No response, it times out.

Old December 18th 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Stevensons

news
wrote:

Repair this connection on the
LAN card says it fails with finding IP address.

which suggests that the modem is not providing a DHCP server

is 192.168.0.1 the IP address assumed by the modem ? if so then you
need to allocate an address manually to the ethernet card 192.168.0.2
or similar

Yes, 192.168.0.1 is the address set for the modem (Per the instruction
book). TCP/IP is set to "Obtain IP address automatically" I thought this was
the address asigned to the LAN card?

ICS usually allocates that address 192.168.0.1 to the ethernet card,
if you still have that as the card's address then what does the modem
use ? It needs a differnet address otherwise talking to 192.168.0.1 is
the smae as talking to 127.0.0.1 ie you're talking to yourself

what is the modem, BTW ?

NetGear DM602

Phil