Advice needed. pci modem doing my head in

Old December 18th 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
True Jedi

Default Advice needed. pci modem doing my head in

I have had a PCI adsl modem for over 18 months but it always seems to take
ages to connect. I am looking for something that is already connected even
when the PC off, so that when I boot up the PC it will be ready to connect
straightaway.

Whats the *cheapest* way to do this, with a router?, a simple usb modem? Or
am I not going to be able to do this?

(I also have a laptop and that is currently going through a network card on
the main PC for its connection and it would be nice to be able to use this
without having the other one on but not essential)

I have about 40 - 50 to spend

Cant wait to get this sorted and then I can take this PCI modem out and
smash it with a very large hammer

Thanks

Michael

Old December 18th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

True Jedi uttered in :

I have had a PCI adsl modem for over 18 months but it always seems to take
ages to connect. I am looking for something that is already connected even
when the PC off, so that when I boot up the PC it will be ready to connect
straightaway.

Whats the *cheapest* way to do this, with a router?, a simple usb modem?
Or am I not going to be able to do this?

USB modems have to wait for the PC to power up (to the best of my
knowledge). Routers are an always-on solution.

(I also have a laptop and that is currently going through a network card
on the main PC for its connection and it would be nice to be able to use
this without having the other one on but not essential)

I have about 40 - 50 to spend

I -think- you can get a DSL router for that, but don't quote me.

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nana = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old December 18th 03, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Duncan Hill wrote in
:

I have about 40 - 50 to spend

I -think- you can get a DSL router for that, but don't quote me.

Yep: http://www.dslsource.co.uk/product_d...?idProduct=138

Can't comment on quality of the product though as I have a D-Link router.

--
My photos: http://homepages.zen.co.uk/~philip.chung
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old December 18th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Duncan Hill" wrote in message
.. .
True Jedi uttered in :

I have had a PCI adsl modem for over 18 months but it always seems to

take
ages to connect. I am looking for something that is already connected

even
when the PC off, so that when I boot up the PC it will be ready to

connect
straightaway.

Whats the *cheapest* way to do this, with a router?, a simple usb modem?
Or am I not going to be able to do this?

You need a modem/router, something like http://tinyurl.com/n80e

They do a 4 port one for not much more (to connect up to 4 PCs at the same
time). They work ok.

You'll need a network card in your PC if you don't already have one.

Like this http://tinyurl.com/23wl6

I think they come with a short CAT-5 cable, but do check.

Jc.

Old December 18th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

On 18/12/2003 "True Jedi" opined:-
I have had a PCI adsl modem for over 18 months but it always seems to take
ages to connect. I am looking for something that is already connected even
when the PC off, so that when I boot up the PC it will be ready to connect
straightaway.

Whats the *cheapest* way to do this, with a router?, a simple usb modem? Or
am I not going to be able to do this?

ADSL is a little slower than dial-up to connect.

The cheapest way would be to buy a combined adsl modem/ 4 port router.
You just might squeeze one of these in at 50. This could be left on
and connected all the time.

In addition to this, you may need a network card, plus cabling for each
of your computers. Each PC then turned on would have instant and
independant access to the Internet straight from the router.

Using a laptop, you might consider buying a combined wireless access
point/router/modem, plus a wireless card for the laptop, although you
could upgrade to wireless later. This would be much more expensive but
worth considering.

That c

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 18th 03, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
True Jedi

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Thanks everyone, thats steered me away from USB modem only and towards a
Router, will avoid that Ebuyer one though as it seems to have a lot of
varying reviews.

Cheers

Old December 18th 03, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

A single port one would be a false economy, when for just a small
amount more a four port could be had.

I have had the AMX 64 four port in use now for over twelve months with
out the slightest problem.

yes but the Origo 4 port router everyone advises on people getting IS cheap
but crap.

-SPI upgrade as advertised by Origo doesn't exist
- Opening Port Ranges not possible, limited to single 20 ports maximum, they
have promised port ranging but same for there SPI firewall.
-DMZ doesn't fully work, you put a PC on a DMZ IP and the NAT still blocks
ports, suggestion from Origo put the router in bridge mode and then you ask
why if its suppose to be a 4 PORT router not single.

So this router is a Lemming so put it out of its misery, don't advise people
to get it

Once I've saved enough I will either get a SAR130 and use the POS Origo
router as a switch or the SAR715 if I'm good over Xmas and don't spend too
much.

Old December 18th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks everyone, thats steered me away from USB modem only and towards a
Router, will avoid that Ebuyer one though as it seems to have a lot of
varying reviews.

If they`re doing the AR41 4 port modem/router again, i`ve got one and had
zero problems with it - it cost me 41.13 + vat from ebuyer