Chicken and egg

Old December 18th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Towill

Default Chicken and egg

As I have mentioned before here my exchange is due to be enabled the end of
Jan.
I recently had a telephone fault, and chatting to the BT engineer who fixed
it he said that it is possible that it may not work (distance question).
So is there anyway that I can test that it is Ok before I purchase a modem?
I work out that "free modems" are rather more expensive in the longer term
than supplying your own.
TIA
John T
Old December 19th 03, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

"John Towill" wrote in message

Ok, so how do I get the line installed? It is then I assume tested. I
assume that I will have to pay for this, will that mean that I will not
have to pay my provider again?
TIA
Cheers
John T

when you order from your adsl provider (ie pipex/plusnet or whoever) they
arrange for the line to be tested and if it passes adsl is installed on your
line within a couple of days.

you then plug in the modem/router into your microfilter which is plugged
into your phone socket, setup your login details and you're all done.

If you fail the line test you don't get adsl, you don't get charged and you
get mighty p&ssed off.

good luck

Ian

Old December 19th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ddwyer

In article , John Towill
writes
As I have mentioned before here my exchange is due to be enabled the end of
Jan.
I recently had a telephone fault, and chatting to the BT engineer who fixed
it he said that it is possible that it may not work (distance question).
So is there anyway that I can test that it is Ok before I purchase a modem?
I work out that "free modems" are rather more expensive in the longer term
than supplying your own.
TIA
John T

I have been told that im too far from the exchange for any broadband
system.
Mt neighbour is attached to the next exchange and has broadband
capability BT wont connect me to the adjacent exchange and inform me
that there will never be a possibility to provide broad band.

Is there a lever I can use to change their mind?

--
ddwyer
Old December 22nd 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

ddwyer uttered in :

I have been told that im too far from the exchange for any broadband
system.
Mt neighbour is attached to the next exchange and has broadband
capability BT wont connect me to the adjacent exchange and inform me
that there will never be a possibility to provide broad band.

Give the neighbour a wireless access point, pay them half the cost per month
of the connection. Set up a wireless client on your end, presto
broadband

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nana = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old December 22nd 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Mainwaring

Pete Smith wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:23:51 -0000, Pete Smith wrote:

says...
As I have mentioned before here my exchange is due to be enabled the end of
Jan.
I recently had a telephone fault, and chatting to the BT engineer who fixed
it he said that it is possible that it may not work (distance question).
So is there anyway that I can test that it is Ok before I purchase a modem?
I work out that "free modems" are rather more expensive in the longer term
than supplying your own.

You could just wait :-)

Have the line installed.

If it works, go out and buy one. If it doesn't - no problem!

HTH

Pete.

Ok, so how do I get the line installed? It is then I assume tested. I
assume that I will have to pay for this, will that mean that I will not
have to pay my provider again?

I went from HH to ADSL, so I'm not 100% sure of how the process goes, but I
would personally assume that if you ordered ADSL from a company, BT would do
what they have to do, and actually check that it's working before they sign
it off as done. (Do they check it at all?)

You'll just need to find a place that will refund your fee if it doesn't
work properly.

The other thing you could do is buy what you want from somewhere like PC
World, and then just take it back if your installation doesn't work.

Pete.

This all sounds horribly familiar! As soon as my local exchange was
upgraded, I ordered Broadband from Virgin. I took the plunge and
ordered a Speedtouch ADSL modem in advance.

I was on Home Highway, so I had a call from BT on the arranged date
saying they were about to disconnect my HH and would be at my house in
20 mins after they had set up the ADSL line at the exchange. They
turned up, and then proceeded to test the ADSL link. Everything worked
OK (i.e. their modem synced up, their router worked etc.) but the test
equipment showed that the line noise was above the allowable limit.
The BT installer said he wasn't allowed to leave me with Broadband as
this test had failed (he tried it twice to make sure).

Virgin subsequently spoke to BT and they confirmed that I couldn't
have Broadband.

I can't see any way that the line could be tested properly before the
Broadband connection is made at the exchange.

So the original question is a very valid one - should you buy a modem
before Broadband is installed? In my experience - the answer is NO.
(Anyone want an unused Speedtouch modem?)

Pete
Old December 23rd 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Pete Mainwaring wrote:
snip
So the original question is a very valid one - should you buy a modem
before Broadband is installed? In my experience - the answer is NO.
(Anyone want an unused Speedtouch modem?)

They seem to hold their value pretty well on ebay, and from some stores,
you can even return them unopened free, or for a nominal sum.

So, the cost is at most (for a modem) maybe 5-6 quid.
If you might be without ADSL for 2-3 days when you could have had it
running, then it might be considered worth it.

In my case, as I was on HH for so long, I'd mislaid all my analog modems,
and had no other way to connect to the net, and it was either spend
hours searching, or buy a modem. (well, router)