telewest able to restrict bb access to one computer?

Old December 19th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
net

Default telewest able to restrict bb access to one computer?

I'm not all that clever with bb but I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem for
a friend who uses telewest broadband, using a Cable modem - Model: Surfboard
SM4100 (I think). This modem connects to a WinXP laptop through RJ45 network
cables. The network cable goes from the laptop LAN port into a small hub,
and then another RJ45 patch cable goes from the hub into the back of the
cable modem and this 'first' laptop can access the internet fine. The thing
is, I can only get this one laptop to access the internet. There are two
other laptops, both also have WinXP Pro, also both patch cabled into the
hub but they cannot get access to the internet net through this modem. It's
just 'page cannot be displayed' time and again. So I took one of the laptops
home and plugged it into my hub and presto, it surfed the
net instantly through my internet connection (not telewest). So I can't
fault the laptop or the software on it. It's as though telewest have
succeeded in 'locking out' all laptops but the one. What's the trick here?
Is it telewest's intention to restrict access to just one PC or am I doing
something wrong? How do they do this? Can such restriction be overcome? I
looked at the TCPIP properties in the LAN connection on the laptop that can
access the internet and there are no DNS numbers at all or any info. I
couldn't see anything that demonstrates why one laptop could surf the net
and others can't.
Thanks for any help.

Old December 19th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"net" wrote in message
[...]

I am not a Telewest user so I am sure someone will give a more detailed
answer but I believe Telewest use the (unique) MAC address of the network
card to identify the machine connected to their service

I believe you can register the MAC addresses of new computers via
http://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/

Regards
Sunil

Old December 19th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
public mike

As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the access to a particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and make sure the
others connect via it

(2) buy a router that has the ability to clone the primary pc's MAC address

Cheers, Mike

Old December 19th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SimonR_UK

"net" wrote in message
I'm not all that clever with bb but I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem

for
a friend who uses telewest broadband, using a Cable modem - Model:

Surfboard
SM4100 (I think). This modem connects to a WinXP laptop through RJ45

network
cables. The network cable goes from the laptop LAN port into a small hub,

You cannot use a Hub thats connected to the cable modem, but you can use a
Router. IE.... Cable modem Router Hub or PC or Laptop plugged into
Router.

The Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 works fine and is available
from www.amazon.co.uk for 36.38

Old December 19th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
net

"public mike" wrote in message
As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the access to a particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and make sure the
others connect via it

thaanks for your feedback Mike. I know how to share a dial up connection,
but how do you share a BB/LAN connection in WinXP? there's no dialup 'icon'
to configure...

Old December 19th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"public mike" wrote in message
As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the access to a particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and make sure the
others connect via it

(2) buy a router that has the ability to clone the primary pc's MAC

address

I have been told by a Telewest/BY user that they are allowed to register
multiple MAC addresses with them, using the URL I gave earlier, so its not
necessary to buy a router to clone an address...

I *think* NTL don't allow more than one MAC address though (:

Regards
Sunil

Old December 19th 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 19/12/03 9:26 pm, in article , "net"
wrote:

"public mike" wrote in message
As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the access to a particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and make sure the
others connect via it

thaanks for your feedback Mike. I know how to share a dial up connection,
but how do you share a BB/LAN connection in WinXP? there's no dialup 'icon'
to configure...

A half decent router will allow you to plug in the Pc with the registered
MAC address and have the router spoof that MAC address on behalf of all
connected PC's

Old December 19th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"net" wrote in message

"public mike" wrote in

message
As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the

access to a particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and

make sure the
others connect via it

thaanks for your feedback Mike. I know how to share a dial

up connection,
but how do you share a BB/LAN connection in WinXP? there's

no dialup 'icon'
to configure...

you don't, because you are using an ethernet connection. You
would need to either a) use the USB connection to the modem,
and enable ICS on that connection (since it appears as a DUN
connect icon) or better still b) buy a router, and connect
all pc's into that, with the modem connected via ethernet to
the WAN port on the router.

P.

Old December 19th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
net

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"public mike" wrote in message
As Sunil said, IIRC the cable bb providers lock the access to a

particular
MAC address so you have two options as far as I can see

(1) use Microsoft Internet Sharing on the primary pc and make sure the
others connect via it

(2) buy a router that has the ability to clone the primary pc's MAC

address

I have been told by a Telewest/BY user that they are allowed to register
multiple MAC addresses with them, using the URL I gave earlier, so its not
necessary to buy a router to clone an address...

thanks Sunil, but at the url you mentioned it also said (in red letters):
'Important: Even though you can have several devices registered with
blueyonder, you can still only have one device plugged into your cable modem
and working at any one time'

Old December 20th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"net" wrote in message
thanks Sunil, but at the url you mentioned it also said (in red letters):
'Important: Even though you can have several devices registered with
blueyonder, you can still only have one device plugged into your cable

modem
and working at any one time'

Ah - not being a customer has its drawbacks

Simplest thing to do then is invest in a router, get it to spoof the mac
address that is registed and connect it directly to the cable modem.

Then connect all the computers/laptops directly to the router via RJ45

Regards
Sunil