Binatone modem woes

Old December 19th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael

Default Binatone modem woes

I am tearing out what little hair I have left over this problem.

I was due to be activated for adsl service on the 17th of December so I
went out and bought

a Binatone ADSL2000 modem router and connected it all up. On Tuesday the
16th I noticed the

modem had synced with the exchange and all worked fine until wednesday
afternoon.I had

powered off everything to relocate cables at the back of the pc. When I
put everything back

I noticed the modem wasn't synced anymore. I naturally thought I had
done something when I

relocated wires. So I went through all the usual routines to get it
synced again but nothing

worked. Naturally I thought the modem must be banjaxed and went and
bought another (same

model/make) fitted that and it didn't work.

I then contacted my ISP who reported the fault to BT. The man at the
exchange today ran a

test that showed a fault but when he disconnected my line the fault went
away ...so he said

the fault lay within my home. Later the BT engineer called to my home
and connected a router

to the line that synced ok and then a usb modem that also synced ok. So
the second modem

must be banjaxed as well..pretty unbelievable....so I went and bought a
third (same

model/make) and ..well you know the rest....IT DON'T WORK! I refuse to
believe that three

modems could be banjaxed, but I do not have a clue where to go from
here..other than buying

another modem (thank God for Argos) but a different make this time.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Old December 19th 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:25:03 +0000, Michael wrote:

I am tearing out what little hair I have left over this problem.

I was due to be activated for adsl service on the 17th of December so I
went out and bought

a Binatone ADSL2000 modem router and connected it all up. On Tuesday the
16th I noticed the

modem had synced with the exchange and all worked fine until wednesday
afternoon.I had

powered off everything to relocate cables at the back of the pc. When I
put everything back

I noticed the modem wasn't synced anymore. I naturally thought I had
done something when I

relocated wires. So I went through all the usual routines to get it
synced again but nothing

[snip]

Any advice would be gratefully received.

No advice I'm afraid but I've hit almost the same problem. Had a
Binatone router with firmware level 21.19.6. Worked fine for three
weeks or so on Home 500, then the line went down. Power cycled the
router and although the router syncs with the exchange the PPP part of
the link won't establish.

Router swapped out for a Binatone with a later firmware level
(21.19.9), as appaarently there are incompatibilities between 21.19.6
and some recently upgrades that BT have performed. Still won't
completely sync with the other end (PPP fails).

Replaced the router with a Netgear 814 and the link comes up, so
definitely seems to be a problem with the Binatone.

Unfortunatly the 814 is no good for my purposes unless someone knows
how to turn off NAT.

Wierd thing is I have another Binatone router with the 21.19.6
firmware connected to a Business 500 line and that works just fine!

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old December 20th 03, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael

Martin

Thank you...at least I am..slightly...encouraged to go out and get
another brand modem today.

Michael