Tiscali lowers broadband prices

Old December 20th 03, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gill

Default Tiscali lowers broadband prices

This morning I received an email from Tiscali (my dial-up ISP) to inform me
of their new lower "broadband" prices:

1) 150kbps, 15.99 per month now with a free modem and free connection.
Offer ends 31/12/03.

2) 512kbps, 24.99 per month with free modem and free connection. Appears to
be a permanent price reduction.

Your thoughts?

Dave.

Old December 20th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark W

"David Gill" nospam wrote in message
This morning I received an email from Tiscali (my dial-up ISP) to inform

me
of their new lower "broadband" prices:

1) 150kbps, 15.99 per month now with a free modem and free connection.
Offer ends 31/12/03.

2) 512kbps, 24.99 per month with free modem and free connection. Appears

be a permanent price reduction.

Your thoughts?

Dave.

I just wondered which is least expense for the ISP, ADSL or dial-up? Maybe
Tiscali is trying to get all its customer base onto ADSL?

Old December 20th 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 20 Dec 2003, "Mark W" [email protected] wrote:

I just wondered which is least expense for the ISP, ADSL or dial-up?

I guess that for stability of numbers and income getting people onto 12
month contracts makes a lot of sense. Having a lot of semi-permanent
connections, some of which will be passing little/no traffic, compared
with peaks and troughs for dial-up, complaints about busy tones, and a
host of other effects, might lead to fewer tech support calls. Some of
the ISPs have almost permanent "peak time" for their contended dial-up
services, which some make off-peak deals (eg PlusNet having limits on
connect hours, with unmetered use from 0100 to 0700 daily). Many ISPs
seem to be pushing their broadband services, some with these freebie
(USB) modems, a few with free connection, and most on just the "up
to 10x the dial-up speed" slogans. But peer pressure among teens may
be the driving factor to get higher speed links, I expect, not ISPs'
marketing campaigns!! Peter M.
Old December 20th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:01:26 -0000, "David Gill" nospam wrote:

This morning I received an email from Tiscali (my dial-up ISP) to inform me
of their new lower "broadband" prices:

1) 150kbps, 15.99 per month now with a free modem and free connection.
Offer ends 31/12/03.

2) 512kbps, 24.99 per month with free modem and free connection. Appears to
be a permanent price reduction.

Your thoughts?

Dave.

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

Jasper

Old December 20th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 20 Dec 2003 14:33, Jasper wrote:

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

Depends on how it is delivered, not the speed alone.
Argue if you wish, but it'll be easily refuted.
Old December 20th 03, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha \(vinnieza\)

"Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631" wrote in message
.net...
On 20 Dec 2003 14:33, Jasper wrote:

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

I agree, I though broadband was 512kbps up (10 times faster), however that
is faster than a dial up.

Old December 20th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark W

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

Jasper

If you say so. But I thought 'broadband' was just slang for ADSL.

Old December 20th 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:39, "Mark W" [email protected] wrote:

I thought 'broadband' was just slang for ADSL.

Then what would you call services from NTL and Telewest over their
cable service, since ADSL (a particular variant of DSL) is offered
by BT primarily and not the cable firms...
Old December 20th 03, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:33:15 UTC, Jasper wrote:

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

And your thoughts would be wrong. It uses multiple frequencies to carry
segments of the bandwidth which (slightly simplistically) is what makes
it broadband.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old December 20th 03, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Brown

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:33:15 UTC, Jasper wrote:

My thoughts would be that 150kbps is *not* broadband !

And your thoughts would be wrong. It uses multiple frequencies to carry
segments of the bandwidth which (slightly simplistically) is what makes
it broadband.

But doesn't 56k dial-up uses multiple frequencies to achieve this rate?

In my limited understanding of broadband, I though this meant the use of
extended frequencies (in the case of ADSL) that extended beyond the normal
audio bandwidth used by the POTS.