BT Single User??

Old December 21st 03, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Col

Default BT Single User??

Hi All

I am having broadband fitted in my office soon, cost is £29 a month for a
single user and £65 for multi user connection, as i have only 2 pc's is
there a way i can share this connection without paying the extra cost to BT.
BT tell me that they check the line occasionally to ensure only 1 pc is
being used (1 IP address i assume?)

I will only occasionally need to use both pc's at the same time so a
switcher might be ok, or would a router or USB hub be better?

The broadband box BT have sent is a usb one. The 2 pc's are about 3 metres
apart.

Any help (not too technical please) appreciated.

Col

Old December 21st 03, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sebastian Kinnaird

Col wrote:
I am having broadband fitted in my office soon, cost is £29 a month for a
single user and £65 for multi user connection, as i have only 2 pc's is
there a way i can share this connection without paying the extra cost to BT.
BT tell me that they check the line occasionally to ensure only 1 pc is
being used (1 IP address i assume?)

I will only occasionally need to use both pc's at the same time so a
switcher might be ok, or would a router or USB hub be better?

Hi Col,

Are both your PCs networked together already? If so, then you can use
something called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is basically a
software router.

See http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics for more info.

Seb
--
Sebastian Kinnaird

Old December 22nd 03, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If you use a ADSL router, then only the router can be detected from the net
and there is no easy way of telling
how many computers are connected to the router.
Except of course half a dozen could generate lot more traffic.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 22nd 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Martin²" wrote in message
If you use a ADSL router, then only the router can be detected from the

net
and there is no easy way of telling
how many computers are connected to the router.
Except of course half a dozen could generate lot more traffic.

True. Although if you're only using your PC's through a
router for very light internet use, it's likely to be practically
indistinguishable from a genuine single PC connection.

James H

Old December 29th 03, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
repo

i've just recently set this up for a customer.
didn't use the crappy usb modem, got a dlink dsl300 modem and di604 router
fired it up and away it went.
has been running for over a week without any issues.