do I need to network

Old December 21st 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
figgy

Default do I need to network

I'm considering getting broadband.
Currently we have two computers in two rooms quite a way apart, each plugged
into phone sockets each with a dialup modem. I know I will be able to attach
the broadband modem to my computer and then network the pcs (maybe just a
single crossover cable?). There's really no need of the network other than
for sharing the broadband account and I would rather avoid running cables
around the house. What I want to know is, instead of networking can't I just
buy a second broadband modem for computer number 2?

figgy

Old December 21st 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

"figgy" wrote in message
I'm considering getting broadband.
Currently we have two computers in two rooms quite a way apart, each

plugged
into phone sockets each with a dialup modem. I know I will be able to

attach
the broadband modem to my computer and then network the pcs (maybe just a
single crossover cable?). There's really no need of the network other than
for sharing the broadband account and I would rather avoid running cables
around the house. What I want to know is, instead of networking can't I

just
buy a second broadband modem for computer number 2?

You CAN do that, however you couldn't both use the connection at the same
time and if both pc's were turned on they would BOTH be trying to connect to
the local exchange so you would probably have to physically pull out the
cable from one if the other is to be connected.
The difference between dial-up and adsl when it comes to connecting is that
dial-up doesnt do anything if you dont click connect, whereas adsl will keep
trying to connect to the exchange before you even click on 'connect'.

--

Home Page: http://jamesuk.cjb.net
Blur Discography: http://www.mourby.plus.com/blur/

Old December 21st 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:06:10 -0000, "James Mourby"
wrote:

"figgy" wrote in message
[...]

The way you lay the question out, and the assumed depth of your
pocket, seems to indicate that the solution for you would be a
wireless router connected to your ADSL line.

You can then either put a wireless network card into both of your PCs
or alternatively a CAT5e cable to one machine with wireless connection
to the other. A Vigor 2600W would be, IMHO, a good choice.

As I see it, the downside of a wireless link is that IF you were to
transfer huge files between the two PCs then it would take a bit
longer to achieve than if you had a cabled local area network.

If both machines simply want to connect to the same ADSL
service/account within your home to use the Internet, then a wireless
link for one or both is more than adequate for that purpose.

David Bradley

Old December 21st 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"figgy" wrote in message
I'm considering getting broadband.
Currently we have two computers in two rooms quite a way apart, each

plugged
into phone sockets each with a dialup modem. I know I will be able to

attach
the broadband modem to my computer and then network the pcs (maybe just a
single crossover cable?). There's really no need of the network other than
for sharing the broadband account and I would rather avoid running cables
around the house. What I want to know is, instead of networking can't I

just
buy a second broadband modem for computer number 2?

figgy

If cables are an issue, have a look for a Mains Network Bridge, it sends the
data through the mains electricity system in your house, and are supposed to
be quite good.
Failing that, as other have saide, a wireless system would be idea for your
situation.

Hamman

Old December 21st 03, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , HamMan [email protected]
..ima******.freeserve.spam.co.uk writes

If cables are an issue, have a look for a Mains Network Bridge, it sends the
data through the mains electricity system in your house, and are supposed to
be quite good.

or use the obsolescent 10base2 (thin coax) which travels well, is
scrapbox technology, but perfectly adequate for broadband (and tolerable
for NFS and X).
Bob

--
robert w hall
Old December 21st 03, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

If cables are an issue, have a look for a Mains Network Bridge, it sends

the
data through the mains electricity system in your house, and are supposed

be quite good.
Failing that, as other have saide, a wireless system would be idea for

your
situation.

Hamman

A 3rd option could be a PNA network router like the BT Home network 1200
see:

http://tinyurl.com/24h36

No need to run any cables as it uses your existing BT extension wiring (all
sockets on same line only).
Computers can be connected to it via: USB, 10baseT, Wireless or BT extension
wiring.
Both computers can use the broadband internet connection at the same time.
Gives you the option to upgrade to wireless later if required.

ADSL Guide reviewed this item he

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q2/bt-1200.asp

73's de Phill H