Connecting Netgear DM602 ADSL modem to Netgear WGT624 wireless router

Old December 21st 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Milleniumaire

Default Connecting Netgear DM602 ADSL modem to Netgear WGT624 wireless router

I have just switched from ISDN to broadband and have bought a Netgear
108 Mbps wireless Firewall Router (WGT624) and a Netgear ADSL Modem
(DM602) to allow me to connect 3 computers to the Internet, 1 using a
wireless connection. I also have an existing Netgear 8 port switch.

I want to setup the following network:
2 PC's connected to 8 port switch (as they currently are)
Router connected to 8 port switch
Modem connected to router
3rd PC access wireless router using wireless network card

If I connect the modem directly to the PC (using ethernet cable) or to
the switch then I can configure it using a web browser and it works
okay. If I connect the router to the switch this allows the 3rd PC to
access the network also using its wireless capabilities.

I assume that this configuration is not providing me with the firewall
protection offered by the router, which is one of the reasons why I
bought this model.

When I plug the modem directly into the router (using the separate
Internet port) so that the modem is isolated from the network by the
router then I cannot access the Internet.

As far as I'm aware these two devices are compatible (I've seen them
sold together at discounted prices).

My ISP is Demon and I use the PPPoA protocol.

Do I need to configure Windows in any "special" way other than to
ensure that my IP addresses are set using DHCP (according to the
Netgear installation manuals). I have tried configuring each so that
it has a different IP address as I assume this was necessary (both
come set to 192.168.0.1).

Both pieces of kit provide DHCP, do I need to switch it off for one of
them when they are connected together?

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Regards.
Old December 22nd 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

sounds like you need to clone the MAC address of the router to match the MAC
address of the computer's ethernet card that you used to configure the
modem.

My Dlink modem associates a MAC address the the account created to access
the net, when this is plugged into the router (which has a different MAC
address) nothing works. Check your WAN settings in your router. I assume you
are using Dynamic IP, and see if there is an option to Clone Mac Address.
Make sure you do this using the same computer used to configure the modem.

This should make everything work ok then.

You were right to assign a new IP address to the router, otherwise you will
not be able to configure your modem through the router. You can leave the
modem IP address as 192.168.0.1. Use something like 192.168.1.x for your
router, and set up your DHCP server in your router to give out addresses in
the 192.168.1.x range.

hope that helps

om...

Old December 22nd 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Milleniumaire

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Tried these but it made no
difference. I have sent an email to Netgear, but judging by other
peoples experiences with their support, I'm not expecting much help
from them.

Regards.

Old December 28th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
M2

Phone them up, got DM602 and WGR614 with BT and everything works well
when I got help over phone