HELP! - Broadband loses connection ??

Old December 22nd 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default HELP! - Broadband loses connection ??

I'm struggling with a friends BB connection, wondered if anyone here could
help.

Telewest broadband connected to a router (bought from eBay, link below),
with 2 laptops and a desktop PC.
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3065839673)

Telewest have added the MAC of the router to the authorised list, and the
router obtains an IP from the modem. Router is set as a DHCP server as
well, and all 3 clients obtain their addresses okay (192.168.1.2 - .4).

Initially, internet etc. works fine. When PC's are switched off, nothing
works the next day. If you manually release and renew the IP, then it comes
back

Any ideas? I only have dial up (roll on Feb 04!) so cannot test the router
on my setup. Any help appreciated. They'll be calling me all Christmas
otherwise!

H.

Old December 22nd 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael(nooospam).collins

I had a bad experience last week with a Binatone modem (see my post
Binatone modem woes) and it turned out that BT had used the latest
firmware when upgrading my exchange and the firmware in the modem I
bought was incompatible with it. So I would check with the router
manufacturer to see if a firmware update is available and also approiate.

Michael

Old December 22nd 03, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

In article ,
says...

(
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3065839673)

Telewest have added the MAC of the router to the authorised list, and the
router obtains an IP from the modem. Router is set as a DHCP server as
well, and all 3 clients obtain their addresses okay (192.168.1.2 - .4).

Initially, internet etc. works fine. When PC's are switched off, nothing
works the next day. If you manually release and renew the IP, then it comes
back

Any ideas? I only have dial up (roll on Feb 04!) so cannot test the router
on my setup. Any help appreciated. They'll be calling me all Christmas
otherwise!

H.

Not familiar with the router at all but having a stab in the dark, what
is the lease time given out by the dhcp server? If it is very short maybe
you can increase it to a few days. What about setting the clients with
static addresses?

HTH
Andrew
Old December 23rd 03, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Just been speaking to them, and it turns out that they switch everything off
at night. PC's, modem, router.

I have asked them to leave the modem and router switched on at night, and
see if they can re-connect okay the next day. Switching everything off may
be causing the address problems.

When I arrived (and it was not working) all I did was a release and renew,
and presto it started working again.

Keep you informed. ;-)

Old December 23rd 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clansman

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:24:30 -0000, "H" wrote:

Just been speaking to them, and it turns out that they switch everything off
at night. PC's, modem, router.

I have asked them to leave the modem and router switched on at night, and
see if they can re-connect okay the next day. Switching everything off may
be causing the address problems.

When I arrived (and it was not working) all I did was a release and renew,
and presto it started working again.

Keep you informed. ;-)

If they're switching it all off at night, then they're probably switching it
all on the next morning in the wrong order and not giving each device enough
time to be ready for the next device to come up properly.

Clansman