Best wireless adaptor cards for ad hoc network?

Old December 22nd 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Best wireless adaptor cards for ad hoc network?

I'm about to set-up an ad hoc wireless LAN in my house (to share my BT
Broadband connection and limited file and printer sharing). I don't plan to
buy a router or wireless modem - just two network cards.

Can anyone recommend the best cards to buy for this purpose?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 23rd 03, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Orinoco (from Proxim) reputedly has best radio.
You may want to consider USB adapters, much easier to position for best
signal, half an inch can make difference.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 23rd 03, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Martin² wrote:
Orinoco (from Proxim) reputedly has best radio.
You may want to consider USB adapters, much easier to position for
best signal, half an inch can make difference.
Regards,
Martin

I did see some glowing customer reviews of some dirt cheap own brand cards
from ebuyer. 802.11b cards were about £10+VAT. I haven't used any of their
stuff myself so can't confirm the truth of the claims.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

Old December 23rd 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Cheers. They looks good...

Two ordered! I'll let you know how I get on.

Old December 23rd 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Tiny Tim wrote:
Martin? wrote:
Orinoco (from Proxim) reputedly has best radio.
You may want to consider USB adapters, much easier to position for
best signal, half an inch can make difference.
Regards,
Martin

I did see some glowing customer reviews of some dirt cheap own brand cards
from ebuyer. 802.11b cards were about ?10+VAT. I haven't used any of their
stuff myself so can't confirm the truth of the claims.

I believe that's one I have.
Cardbus, based on an AMD chipset that does not have linux support,
tholugh AMD claim it'll be real soon now.