Wireless access for Telewest BB user ?

Old December 22nd 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carlsberg

Default Wireless access for Telewest BB user ?

My brother uses this service and he would like to access the Net from his
two laptops with a wireless connection. He currently has a Motorola SB4100
Surfboard but he wants to have less clutter. So, is there a unit that will
just plug into the wall (bypassing the SB4100 completely) and act as a
wireless router ?

Looking at the description, it would seem that the "Linksys Etherfast
Wireless Ap - +cable/dsl Router/4port Switch" from Ebuyer would do the job
but a closer look shows that there are no coaxial connections so I guess
that the term 'cable' refers to a setup where something like the SB4100 is
in place.

It may be worth mentioning that he's thinking about moving to an ADSL
service such as Plusnet in the near future.

Any ideas, please ?

Thanks

Old December 23rd 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Carlsberg" wrote in message
[...]

Wether it's Cable (DSL) or ADSL, he'll need a modem of some
sort. ADSL routers with built in modems are available, but
I've not seen a cable equivalent on the market. So, with
cable, he's gonna need two boxes at least, ADSL will need
one. Might be better to wait until he goes ADSL before
committing himself.

P.

Old December 24th 03, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niall

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:57:20 -0000, "Carlsberg"
wrote:

My brother uses this service and he would like to access the Net from his
two laptops with a wireless connection. He currently has a Motorola SB4100
Surfboard but he wants to have less clutter. So, is there a unit that will
just plug into the wall (bypassing the SB4100 completely) and act as a
wireless router ?

Available for ADSL, not sure about cable.

Looking at the description, it would seem that the "Linksys Etherfast
Wireless Ap - +cable/dsl Router/4port Switch" from Ebuyer would do the job
but a closer look shows that there are no coaxial connections so I guess
that the term 'cable' refers to a setup where something like the SB4100 is
in place.

If it says "cable/dsl" then it has no "modem", just an ethernet port
for connecting a cable or dsl modem. Is the SB4100 an ethernet or USB
modem?

It may be worth mentioning that he's thinking about moving to an ADSL
service such as Plusnet in the near future.

Any ideas, please ?

SMC do a device which is an integrated ADSL modem, router, LAN switch
and Wireless Access Point.

--
Niall