microfilter placement

Old December 23rd 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick Hodgson

Default microfilter placement

Hi,

I'm trying to setup my ADSL modem and seem to be having trouble with
the placement of my microfilters (as my PC is in a room upstairs, I
have a long regular phone extension lead going up the stairs). Here
is my current setup:

Socket---Splitter--+---Telephone
| |
| |
+---ExtensionLead---56K Modem--PC

Obviously I would like to replace the 56K modem with the ADSL modem,
and this works fine when I remove the splitter & telephone from the
equation and put the microfilter at the end of the extension, thus:

Socket---Extension----Microfilter----ADSL Modem---PC

But call me old-fashioned but I would like to have a telephone...my
mum gets worried when i don't call :-)

So can anyone suggest a schema for placing the microfilters in the
first scenario?

Thanks muchly in advance,
Mick
Old December 23rd 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
public mike

Hiram

I though the idea of the filter was to stop the ADSL signal interfering with
the telephone, so unless Mick wants to use a telephone on the extension lead
after the splitter, he only needs one filter?

thus

Socket---Splitter--+-Microfilter--Telephone

+---ExtensionLead---ADSL Modem---PC

Regards, Mike

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
On 23 Dec 2003 01:59:17 -0800, (Mick Hodgson)
wrote:

[...]

You need two microfilters - one for the socket immediately before the
telephone and one for the socket at the end of the extension lead.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Old December 23rd 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, "public mike" wrote:

I though the idea of the filter was to stop the ADSL signal interfering with
the telephone, so unless Mick wants to use a telephone on the extension lead
after the splitter, he only needs one filter?

Yes, that's true, and a few (eg the Dabsvalue) routers come with a BT plug
rather than RJ11, but it is fairly common to have a filter by the ADSL kit
and for convenience to speak while using the computer, perhaps makes sense
to have a phone (also avoids rushing down the stairs to answer the phone,
perhaps tripping if you've had a liquid lunch :-) Peter M.
Old December 23rd 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gysen

public mike wrote:

Hiram

Socket---Splitter--+-Microfilter--Telephone

+---ExtensionLead---ADSL Modem---PC

This is basically what I do and it works a dream. Don't waste your money
on loads of microfilters, you only need the one in your scenario.

Anton

Old December 23rd 03, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick Hodgson

Just wanted to thank you guys. Worked perfectly. Seems so stupidly
simple when i look at it now, but at the time it was a case of "too
many sockets, too many plugs, sod it..have a beer instead" :-)

Cheers
Mick