Advice on equipment please?

Old December 23rd 03, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

Default Advice on equipment please?

Hi All,

I have a Pipex connection, DLink DI614+ Wireless Router and 3Com HomeConnect
Dual Link ADSL Modem, and I've now (I think) realised that the combination
doesn't do what I want it to, namely wirelessly share my Pipex broadband
connection around the house without having any specific PC switched on. As
I understand it, the DLink router is the main stumbling block.

I'd like a situation where I don't need any particular PC switched on, and
the router to 'take care' of the connection, via the ADSL modem, to the ISP.
I'm struggling to do this with my current set-up.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might fix this problem? I don't mind
buying new equipment or switching ISP, but preferably not all three!

Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas!

Andy

Old December 23rd 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

"Andy" wrote in
:

Hi All,

I have a Pipex connection, DLink DI614+ Wireless Router and 3Com
HomeConnect Dual Link ADSL Modem, and I've now (I think)
realised that the combination doesn't do what I want it to,
namely wirelessly share my Pipex broadband connection around the
house without having any specific PC switched on. As I
understand it, the DLink router is the main stumbling block.

I'd like a situation where I don't need any particular PC
switched on, and the router to 'take care' of the connection,
via the ADSL modem, to the ISP. I'm struggling to do this with
my current set-up.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might fix this problem?
I don't mind buying new equipment or switching ISP, but
preferably not all three!

The modem has an Ethernet port, so can be connected direct to the
router with a patch lead. The router has wireless as well as wired
connection capability. So where's the problem?

--
BRG
===
Old December 23rd 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

"BRG" wrote in message

The modem has an Ethernet port, so can be connected direct to the
router with a patch lead. The router has wireless as well as wired
connection capability. So where's the problem?

The DI614+ won't 'take care' of the ADSL connection without a PC being
switched on, as it can only do this via PPPoE I believe, not PPPoA, which is
what Pipex uses. Possibly another router will do the job, but I thought I'd
find out a bit more before buying another dud! I also need a wireless
router that allows an external antenna to be connected. Possibly a further
option is to get hold of a stand-alone router and wireless access point...

Andy

Old December 25th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

All broadband in UK uses PPPoA.
Some routers can switch to/from PPPoE (used in USA etc.).
I am not familiar with DI614+, is it UK sourced ?

(Netgear sold DM602 PPPoE only version in UK, didn't work of course !)

Regarding your PC being switched on - this doesn't sound right the router,
once setup, should work regardless.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 26th 03, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy" wrote in message
I have a Pipex connection, DLink DI614+ Wireless Router and 3Com

HomeConnect
Dual Link ADSL Modem, and I've now (I think) realised that the combination
doesn't do what I want it to, namely wirelessly share my Pipex broadband
connection around the house without having any specific PC switched on.

As
I understand it, the DLink router is the main stumbling block.

I'd like a situation where I don't need any particular PC switched on, and
the router to 'take care' of the connection, via the ADSL modem, to the

ISP.
I'm struggling to do this with my current set-up.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might fix this problem? I don't

mind
buying new equipment or switching ISP, but preferably not all three!

From your other posts, it seems you have a "hardware issue" with the
DLink...

You can either resolve it by buying a Wireless Access Point and attach it to
your 3Com HomeConnect Dual Link ADSL Modem or buy a combined "All in One"
solution like one of the following:

Netgear DG834G
Belkin model: F5D7630
Linksys WAG54G (due to be released next month)
US Robotics USR9106
Draytek Vigor 2600G

All the above are 54G/802.11g solutions (Amazon and Ebuyer seem to be
competitive).. if its just for sharing internet access the old 802.11b
standard equipment would do fine as well and is slightly cheaper.

Regards
Sunil