Always On

Old December 24th 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Always On

My Draytek ADSL Router gives me the option to be always on or to dial as
necessary.

Just practicing I have played around with the settings, it appears that if I
am offline it automatically connects if I use any internet service so I am
wondering what is the advantage or not of having an always on setting, is it
just to safeguard against incoming problems for computers that are left on
for long periods.

Geoff Lane
..

Old December 24th 03, 03:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

"Geoff Lane" wrote:
My Draytek ADSL Router gives me the option to be always on or to dial as
necessary.

Just practicing I have played around with the settings, it appears that

if I
am offline it automatically connects if I use any internet service so I

am
wondering what is the advantage or not of having an always on setting, is

it
just to safeguard against incoming problems for computers that are left

on
for long periods.

Geoff Lane
.

The always on feature ensures that the Vigor itself does not disconnect from
the net, whereas if this is not set, it will disconnect itself after so many
seconds / minutes of inactivity.
Old December 24th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Pickles

Geoff Lane wrote:

My Draytek ADSL Router gives me the option to be always on or to dial as
necessary.

Just practicing I have played around with the settings, it appears that if
I am offline it automatically connects if I use any internet service so I
am wondering what is the advantage or not of having an always on setting,
is it just to safeguard against incoming problems for computers that are
left on for long periods.

The bit of the ADSL infrastructure which most often seems to fail is the
RADIUS authentication system run by BT which processes your connection
username/password. If your router is permanently connected then I believe
you should be immune to such failures.
--
Dave

Old December 24th 03, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:55:02 GMT, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

My Draytek ADSL Router gives me the option to be always on or to dial as
necessary.

Just practicing I have played around with the settings, it appears that if I
am offline it automatically connects if I use any internet service so I am
wondering what is the advantage or not of having an always on setting, is it
just to safeguard against incoming problems for computers that are left on
for long periods.

It won't make any difference to availability of the service if you switch the
whole system on and off together, because the router will have reconnected
before the computer has booted up.

However, have a look at the timestamps of items in the Draytek log. When the
unit is first powered up, it reverts to january 1 until the first time
correction by whatever method you have set. If this is important to you, leave
it on.

Yes, I noticed that. Initially when I got the router I did switch it
off mainly because the power supply gets a bit hot.

I think there's also a possibility with some ISPs that if you are disconnected
for any length of time you may be given a different IP address next time.
Again, whether you think this is important or not is up to you.

Haven't found it a problem at the moment, I use dynamic dns for a few
occasional functions.

Thanks for the info.

Geoff Lane

Old December 24th 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

wrote:

My Draytek ADSL Router gives me the option to be always on or to dial

as
necessary.

Its a router, keep it on.

Just practicing I have played around with the settings, it appears that

if I
am offline it automatically connects if I use any internet service so I

am
wondering what is the advantage or not of having an always on setting,

is it
just to safeguard against incoming problems for computers that are left

on
for long periods.

Just to remind you your Draytek router has a built in firewall to stop
intrusion and IT is the only thing accessible from the web. There really is
no reason to disable it unless you don't want people on your network to have
web access.

It won't make any difference to availability of the service if you switch

the
whole system on and off together, because the router will have

reconnected
before the computer has booted up.

True but why switch it off? Obvoiusly its your choice but for me the whole
point is that its there on the network for any idiot (family member) that
wants to use the net without me having to do anything, any anti-virus
program that wants to update etc can do so and I just let it get on with
protecting my network.

However, have a look at the timestamps of items in the Draytek log. When

the
unit is first powered up, it reverts to january 1 until the first time
correction by whatever method you have set. If this is important to you,

leave
it on.

Yes, I noticed that. Initially when I got the router I did switch it
off mainly because the power supply gets a bit hot.

Mines been on for over a year and is absoloutly fine. Along with the 8 port
switch, print server and now wireless box sitting underneath my printer
stacked on top of each other.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is its meant to be hot, meant to be on and
left etc.

I think there's also a possibility with some ISPs that if you are

disconnected
for any length of time you may be given a different IP address next time.
Again, whether you think this is important or not is up to you.

Haven't found it a problem at the moment, I use dynamic dns for a few
occasional functions.

The only problems i've had with my connection (not inclusing any isp
problems, although they have been small) are in connection and
authentication. Considering my router has been running for ages and the
current session started months ago and I haven't had any problems....why
would i want to invite more.

Sam

Thanks for the info.

Geoff Lane

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old December 25th 03, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Sam Albrow" wrote in message

Just to remind you your Draytek router has a built in firewall to stop
intrusion and IT is the only thing accessible from the web.

Yes, point taken. I hear so many stories about security issues, some say
with NAT IP rules are not necessary and others say it is.

There really is
no reason to disable it unless you don't want people on your network to

have
web access.

That is not a problem, ADSL was obtained for the ease of access.

Yes, I noticed that. Initially when I got the router I did switch it
off mainly because the power supply gets a bit hot.

Mines been on for over a year and is absoloutly fine. Along with the 8

port
switch, print server and now wireless box sitting underneath my printer
stacked on top of each other.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is its meant to be hot, meant to be on

and
left etc.

I appreciate that cost wise there is little consumption but I tend to turn
things off if they don't need to be on, eg whilst we are all asleep.

Geoff Lane