Which hardware for ADSL

Old December 24th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Towill

Default Which hardware for ADSL

I hope to become ADSL enabled the end of Jan so am running around in ever
decreasing circles trying to make decisions.
I use the internet for browsing, mail and P2P, not interested in games. I
will only be connecting the one PC.
What is the best hardware to do for:
Modem/Router and Internal/external.
Any help gratefully received.
TIA
John T

If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.
Old December 24th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
public mike

Hello John,

There are a variety of ways to connect your pc to the Internet via ADSL and
there are some general points to consider (excuse me if 'grandmother' and
suck eggs' spring to mind)

1) It is paramount that you install some form of firewall, either software
such as Norton, or 'hardware' such as NAT in a modem router, likewise
ant-virus software
2) Avoid the USB modem devices as these are known to cause problems with
some motherboard chipsets.
3) Although you say that you will only connect one pc to the Internet, I
would suggest that you consider providing flexibility in case you have a
friend to stay, buy a laptop etc.

Based on my own experience I have found the following set up to work very
well.

Buy an integrated modem/firewall device such as the Dlink DSL 504: this
device has the modem and NAT firewall/DHCP server and a 4 port 10/100 switch
and I have been running one for about 3 years with no problems whatsoever.
You can buy them from a number of places including Dabs and Ebuyer. Step by
step instructions can be found on www.btowfaq.org (I think that's the site)
You can also get a wireless-based version
Being somewhat paranoid about security, I also run Norton Internet security
on all the pcs connected as well as a second line of defence and also to
trap any viri.

Hope this helps, Mike

Old December 24th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
public mike

I found the exact web address for setting up the DSL modem/router it sis
http://www.btofaq.net/articles/route...04/dsl504.html

Cheers, Mike

Old December 25th 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, John Towill wrote:

I hope to become ADSL enabled the end of Jan so am running around in ever
decreasing circles trying to make decisions.
I use the internet for browsing, mail and P2P, not interested in games. I
will only be connecting the one PC.
What is the best hardware to do for:
Modem/Router and Internal/external.

I bought a Mentor ADSL single ethernet port router this morning for my
father's new ADSL connection.

It cost less than 40 and works very nicely.

Avoid the Binatone offering from Argos - they don't work.

Popular ones among our users include: Dlink DSL-300G+, Ebuyer ASR8100
(available from other places under other brandings too) and one from
Netgear that I forget the model number of.

We have a couple of users with Pulsar PCI ADSL cards who seem happy with
them running Linux systems.

Jason Clifford
--
JustADSL 1Mb Home ADSL just 31.99 / month
http://www.justadsl.com/ Business ADSL from 30/month

Old December 25th 03, 04:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"John Towill" wrote in message

I hope to become ADSL enabled the end of Jan so am running around in ever
decreasing circles trying to make decisions.
I use the internet for browsing, mail and P2P, not interested in games. I
will only be connecting the one PC.
What is the best hardware to do for:
Modem/Router and Internal/external.
Any help gratefully received.
TIA
John T

If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.

Take the USB scare stories with a pinch of salt..
I got a Zoom USB 5510 for 40 from PC World and it's worked perfectly from
day one.
Staying online filesharing for few days no problems.
Running an ECS K7S5A motherboard.

Martin.

Old December 25th 03, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Jason Clifford wrote:

Avoid the Binatone offering from Argos - they don't work.

That's strange, the Binatone offering I bought from Argos works very well
and I'm pleased with it.

Merry Christmas.

--
John

Old December 25th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Avoid the Binatone offering from Argos - they don't work.

Jason Clifford

Sorry Jason, sending this with one , so they do !!

Dave

Old December 25th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:01:44 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

Avoid the Binatone offering from Argos - they don't work.

Jason Clifford

Sorry Jason, sending this with one , so they do !!

Dave

Which shows that the original question contained too little
information.

What works with one bit of kit, and operating system, will fall over
with another.

Someone has already mentioned motherboards, for example. I suspect
that anyone seeking advice here should spell out the details of their
kit before hitting the send button. Then someone with a similar
configuration can saying "this works for me" or "This fell over when I
tried it".

In general, I look with suspicion at any question asking "what is the
best equipment?" It shows poor understanding of how this stuff works.

Here with my pair of networked Asus AMD motherboards in ME and XP, the
Netgear 834 thingy works fine. But that's as a network. I've got
another couple of weeks before the exchange goes ADSL. Then I may have
something very different to report.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old December 25th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Which shows that the original question contained too little information.

What works with one bit of kit, and operating system, will fall over with
another.

Agreed, but the Binatone uses ethernet as well as USB. Use ethernet and
you can use any piece of kit and OS. I am using various flavours of Linux
here and 1 win box ( rarely used).

Cheers

Dave
Old December 25th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
What works with one bit of kit, and operating system, will fall over

with
another.

Agreed, but the Binatone uses ethernet as well as USB. Use ethernet and
you can use any piece of kit and OS. I am using various flavours of Linux
here and 1 win box ( rarely used).

Actually, some Binatone firmware versions have "known issues" with the
latest versions of code that BT are using on their DSLAM's. (especially the
Fujitsu ones)

In those cases, it doesn't matter what your other equipment is, the router
will have a problem making/maintaining a connection unless its firmware is
upgraded.

I believe this problem is known to affect firmware versions 21.19.6 and
below

Regards
Sunil