Belkin wireless network sharing kit

Old December 24th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Belkin wireless network sharing kit

I see that PC World is doing a special offer on the Belkin wireless network
internet sharing kit. It's £60 instead of £120 and comes with wireless DSL
router and wireless notebook network card. I'd post a link to the product on
PC World's website but it's isn't there.

Is the Belkin router any good? It doesn't contain a modem but it's rated at
54mbs and has a (claimed) range of 1800 feet.

Bobby

Old December 24th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bobby" wrote in message
I see that PC World is doing a special offer on the Belkin wireless

network
internet sharing kit. It's £60 instead of £120 and comes with wireless DSL
router and wireless notebook network card. I'd post a link to the product

on
PC World's website but it's isn't there.

Is the Belkin router any good? It doesn't contain a modem but it's rated

at
54mbs and has a (claimed) range of 1800 feet.

You mean Belkin model F5D7230-4 ?

If so, that won't work by itself with an ADSL line as it doesn't contain a
built in ADSL modem. For that you would need F5D7630UK4A

The 7230 should be ok for cable modem customers though.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 24th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Bobby wrote:
I see that PC World is doing a special offer on the Belkin wireless network
internet sharing kit. It's ?60 instead of ?120 and comes with wireless DSL
router and wireless notebook network card. I'd post a link to the product on
PC World's website but it's isn't there.

Is the Belkin router any good? It doesn't contain a modem but it's rated at
54mbs and has a (claimed) range of 1800 feet.

1800 feet is basically a lie, unless you go with special antennas.

Old December 24th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob { Goddard }

Ian Stirling wrote:

Bobby wrote:
I see that PC World is doing a special offer on the Belkin wireless
network internet sharing kit. It's ?60 instead of ?120 and comes with
wireless DSL router and wireless notebook network card. I'd post a link
to the product on PC World's website but it's isn't there.

Is the Belkin router any good? It doesn't contain a modem but it's rated
at 54mbs and has a (claimed) range of 1800 feet.

1800 feet is basically a lie, unless you go with special antennas.

No, they are just not giving all the facts. Most (all?) 54Mbps
stations have a range og 1800ft, provided it is outdoor and running
at 1Mbps.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
Old December 29th 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News

And special antennas are prohibited in many countries. It is perhaps worth
remembering that WLANs operate in the microwave range. You don't put your
head into a microwave. Microwaves have an impact on water molecules in such
a way that they make them move very fast as to generate heat. The human body
consists to more than 70% of water. Do I need say any more ?

--

Regards,
Mark

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS DIRECTLY FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. REPLY
TO GROUP.

Old December 29th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

News wrote:
And special antennas are prohibited in many countries. It is perhaps worth
remembering that WLANs operate in the microwave range. You don't put your
head into a microwave. Microwaves have an impact on water molecules in such
a way that they make them move very fast as to generate heat. The human body
consists to more than 70% of water. Do I need say any more ?

Yes, perhaps you might consider explaining why there are only four
elements, and elvis is living inside your head.
Old December 30th 03, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Mark:
And special antennas are prohibited in many countries. It is perhaps worth
remembering that WLANs operate in the microwave range. You don't put your
head into a microwave. Microwaves have an impact on water molecules in such
a way that they make them move very fast as to generate heat. The human

body
consists to more than 70% of water. Do I need say any more ?

No need to say anymore, you have comprehensively proved that you know
nothing about wifi.

Just to put it into perspective 802.11b and g are limited to 100mW in Europe
(200mW in USA)
which is much less then mobile phones (hence the limited range).
Millions of people (possibly including you) hold their mobile to their head
without any proven ill effect.
Compared to that wifi is totally safe.
Antennas by themselves do not increase the power of the signal, merely
improve the efficiency usually by concentrating the signal in one direction.
(Signal boosters are different matter of course.)
Regards,
martin