Anyone using satellite broadband?

Old December 26th 03, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Miller

Default Anyone using satellite broadband?

"Peter" wrote in message
news

Various people offer this, 50/month and above. For people like me in
a village where BT will probably never do it, it's an option.

BT are being suprisingly honest on their website about the limitations
of their satellite offering. They say the long time delay to/from the
satellite causes many internet applications to not work.

For example, a web page containing hundreds of objects (as many
"slick" commercial sites do) would take a very long time to load.

There are a couple of issues with it . Firstly you use a standard modem for
your back channel (upload) & so sending mail etc is no faster and secondly
there is a delay of approximately 250ms to the satellite which is due to the
distances involved. Therefore stuff that's time sensitive & requires two
way communication is a non starter (i.e. game playing, VoIP, Video
conferencing etc).

Have you tried to get/considered getting a "Midband" based product? This is
based on ISDN & is basically 2 channels bonded together to give you 128K
(for a fixed price). For general use 128K would be a vast improvement over a
modem.

I.

Old December 26th 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Peter" wrote in message

"Iain Miller" wrote

There are a couple of issues with it . Firstly you use a standard modem

for
your back channel (upload) & so sending mail etc is no faster and

secondly
there is a delay of approximately 250ms to the satellite which is due to

the
distances involved. Therefore stuff that's time sensitive & requires two
way communication is a non starter (i.e. game playing, VoIP, Video
conferencing etc).

I was thinking about the satellite packages which use the sat both
ways,

Two way satellite has twice the delay that one way satellite does.

512k/512k. I am not interested in games, voip or video
conferencing but wonder what e.g. BT could have done to speed up the
"complex website! problem; do they grab a copy of the whole web page
as soon as you first hit it and send it to you in one go, then let
your browser retrieve the various bits from the local copy?

Presumably they must have done something like that, since www is most
customers' main activity and the product would be no good with such
delays.

Satellite is mainly suited to large downloads.

Old December 26th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Alastair
writes
512k/512k. I am not interested in games, voip or video
conferencing but wonder what e.g. BT could have done to speed up the
"complex website! problem; do they grab a copy of the whole web page
as soon as you first hit it and send it to you in one go, then let
your browser retrieve the various bits from the local copy?

Presumably they must have done something like that, since www is most
customers' main activity and the product would be no good with such
delays.

Satellite is mainly suited to large downloads.

A friend of mine has this. There apparently is some sort of buffering
software used and to be honest, whenever I've popped over his place to
download large driver files etc on the weekend (I'm on a DACSed modem at
home!!), while you can detect a slight latency, I've found general
surfing to be fine and its never really bothered me - and I'm used to a
10Mb/s download at work ;-)

Its only the cost that's put me off having it myself.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old December 27th 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bowdley

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:14:20 -0000, "Alastair"
wrote:

Satellite is mainly suited to large downloads.

But if you download lots of data, don't BT then temporarily cap your
broadband speed to reduce your use of the system? They explain this
on their website somewhere I think.

Dave

Old December 28th 03, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DaDragon

Satellite is mainly suited to large downloads.

That may of been the case a while back but nowadays all you see and hear
about is cappings.
Have a look on this forum dedicated to satellite internet users
http://www.sat4the.co.uk/forum/