Alcatel frog and Win XP PRO. Do they work together?

Old December 26th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Barnard

Default Alcatel frog and Win XP PRO. Do they work together?

Hi.

A friend has a midrange PC onto which he has just installed XP pro.
He only had a 56k modem tho' and I said I'd connect it to my broadband
in order to download sp1 and whatever updates are available. So, I
tried to install my Alcatel USB modem.

I went to Alcatels site and eventually got the latest drivers,
R2.0.1.2. Installed the original drivers from the CD. Installed the
update. Rebooted. Plugged in my modem. Nothing.

Not listed in hardware, no "new hardware found" box...

Is there a problem with this?

Thanks.

Old December 26th 03, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
A friend has a midrange PC onto which he has just installed XP pro.
He only had a 56k modem tho' and I said I'd connect it to my broadband
in order to download sp1 and whatever updates are available. So, I
tried to install my Alcatel USB modem.

I went to Alcatels site and eventually got the latest drivers,
R2.0.1.2. Installed the original drivers from the CD. Installed the
update. Rebooted. Plugged in my modem. Nothing.

Not listed in hardware, no "new hardware found" box...

Is there a problem with this?

The Alcatel modem works fine with Windows XP Pro. - the newer version 3
drivers will work, as do the version 2 drivers you downloaded

Its not necessary to install the drivers from the cd 1st - just install the
new ones and insert the cd if asked for the "phonebook.ini" file.

Also, before installing the drivers in Windows XP make sure Device
Manager/Driver Signing, is not set to "block"

Regards
Sunil

Old December 27th 03, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aj

A friend has a midrange PC onto which he has just installed XP pro.
He only had a 56k modem tho' and I said I'd connect it to my broadband
in order to download sp1 and whatever updates are available. So, I
tried to install my Alcatel USB modem.

I went to Alcatels site and eventually got the latest drivers,
R2.0.1.2. Installed the original drivers from the CD. Installed the
update. Rebooted. Plugged in my modem. Nothing.

Not listed in hardware, no "new hardware found" box...

Is there a problem with this?

There were some issues with the Windows automatic update installing non UK
drivers for it.

Just use the latest UK ones form Alcatel.

Old December 27th 03, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Is there a problem with this?

Is the modem lighting up as you`d expect ?

Does he have a VIA chipset ?

Old December 29th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

I've used a Speedtouch 330 which I believe replaced the frog on a K7S8X MoBo
with XP Pro. No probs with it yet!!!

Peter.