migrations.

Old December 26th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

Default migrations.

Im looking into migrating from my current provider (internet central) to
another, can anyone explain the procedure of initiating a migration, i.e
I know I have to get the CBUK number first but do I then pass it onto
the prospective provider and then cancel my current connection straight
away or does the new provider handle that end of things??
Old December 27th 03, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hocking

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
. ..
Im looking into migrating from my current provider (internet central) to
another, can anyone explain the procedure of initiating a migration, i.e
I know I have to get the CBUK number first but do I then pass it onto
the prospective provider and then cancel my current connection straight
away or does the new provider handle that end of things??

Yes, get your CBUK from your current ISP & give this info to your
prospective ISP. Do not cancel your current service, the whole point of
migration is to avoid just that & avoid lengthy downtime. However, not all
ISP's are compliant and will positively make migration a chore. Most ISPs
will charge to migrate you (c35 +vat), although some (eg Pipex) waive the
fee.

HTH
Mark

Old December 27th 03, 03:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
. ..
Im looking into migrating from my current provider (internet central) to
another, can anyone explain the procedure of initiating a migration, i.e
I know I have to get the CBUK number first but do I then pass it onto
the prospective provider and then cancel my current connection straight
away or does the new provider handle that end of things??

-----

I am also with IC and was wondering why you want to move?

Old December 27th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

In article m,
says...

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
. ..
Im looking into migrating from my current provider (internet central) to
another, can anyone explain the procedure of initiating a migration, i.e
I know I have to get the CBUK number first but do I then pass it onto
the prospective provider and then cancel my current connection straight
away or does the new provider handle that end of things??

-----

I am also with IC and was wondering why you want to move?

Right this is going to sound weird but is true and has been confirmed by
IC.
I have two adsl 2mb light connections (which they dont sell on the
website anymore - guess it was too popular) , 1 for my office and 1 for
my home. According to IC im the only customer of theirs on the exchange.
If I have a queue up and start a large download on my office connection
(some linux distros for example) my home connection drops to below 512k
speed, but if I pcanywhere into my office and pause the download my home
connection goes back up to normal speed, this has happened 3 times
before (twice in the last month) and on all those times they say they
have sent in a engineer to fix the problem, but on this last occasion
nothing has changed. It looks like the are somehow bonding the two
connections just because I am the same customer whereas they should be
treated as two seperate connections, it can't be a contention issue if
i'm the only two accounts that are on that exchange, so what i'm going
to do is migrate my home connection but keep the office one.
It sounds like im making it up (coz I can't believe a company would do
it on purpose - and if they are and make a fuss of it, im just going to
get my wife to investigate it - that helps as she is a freelance
journalist that contributes to a few well known offline and online
internet related magazines)
Old December 27th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

[...]

Its a contention issue - you are describing the classic symptoms of
DataStream contention and it is precisely as, according to you, Internet
Central only have 2 DataStream lines on the exchange.

However, before I expand on this, migrations - forget about getting your
CBUK number.. you can't migrate DataStream lines - you will have to carry
out a "cease and reprovide", i.e. cancel your IC line and then apply to a
new ISP

Ok, now back to the DataStream bit..

DataStream is when the ISP arranges for IP traffic to be taken from the
exchange by themselves or another telco (not BT as in IPStream) to be
delivered to their core network.

This allows ISP's, if they use DataStream to "invent" your own products,
i.e. Bulldog currently have Primetime ("time of day") products and 50:1 2MB
products -neither of which BT offer. (and Internet Central were offering
50:1 2MB as well)

Now the way BT DataStream works is:
(Note: I am making these figures up as an example!)

If there is 1-3 2MB users on the exchange the ISP/telco provides 2MB in
backhaul
If there are 4-5 2MB users they provide 3MB in backhaul etc..
If there are more than 6 users they may provide 4/5MB backhaul from your
exchange to their core network and so on..

Generally this works quite well - as an exchange gets more customers the
ISP/telco increase the capacity that it has to their core network - and is a
lot less than the specified 20/50:1 contention ratio you will have signed up
too... - also remember most customers won't be downloading all the time -
thus there will be spare bandwidth/backhaul for when you do want to
download.

However, if you are very unlucky, as it appears in your case and you only
have one or two lines on a BT DataStream exchange, who try and download at
the same time it ruins their planning/capacity calculations - while you will
still get bandwidth etc - you will not be able to always "max" it out in
those cases.. - until the ISP/other telco increase the capacity and/or there
are more customers on the exchange etc.

Now, I don't know who provides the Bandwidth for Internet Central - however
Virtual Pipes ("backhaul") are expensive to install and subject to 12 month
contracts and considering Internet Central don't even offer the product
range you signed up to anymore..

If they use another telco to provide backhaul and don't do it themselves,
perhaps that Telco doesn't have customers from other ISP's on your exchange
atm etc. - in the meantime, you are probably enjoying a "2:1" contention
ratio..

Regards
Sunil

Old December 27th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

In article ,
says...

[...]

Ok thanks, that was some very usefull information, if I have to do cease
and reprovide then thats what it will have to be (it's only 55 anyway),
the company I would move to is a local ISP (but they are a very large
company) , so chances are they would have a lot more customers on the
same exchange.
Once again ta for the info
Old December 27th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
. ..
Ok thanks, that was some very usefull information, if I have to do cease
and reprovide then thats what it will have to be (it's only 55 anyway),
the company I would move to is a local ISP (but they are a very large
company) , so chances are they would have a lot more customers on the
same exchange.
Once again ta for the info

You're welcome.

Just to add most ADSL ISP's use BT IPStream not BT DataStream so the number
of customers on an exchange won't be a factor.

Regards
Sunil