Blueyonder Censors Customer Complaint

Old December 28th 03, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Default Blueyonder Censors Customer Complaint

In article , (Mugwump)
wrote:

Don't blame Blueyonder - blame all those ISPs blocking Blueyonder mail.

Wasn't it Blueyonder who got served a Usenet Death Penalty in 2002?
They are not doing too well in policing their customers.

Blueyonder are fighting a losing battle, they have 400,000 cable modem
users 90% of which have probably never heard of a firewall, the IP address
ranges are well known to spammers and are thus targeted continually.

For a couple of years Blueyonder has been scanning it's users PCs for open
relays and proxies and closing down such cable modems. But it only takes
one idiot out of 400,000 to relay a spam and these various commercial
blacking listing agencies suddenly start holding ISPs to ransom to be
removed from their black lists.

Most other large ISPs are similarly blacklisted at one time or another.

I quite agree that having the Blueyonder SMTP servers black listed is a
pain, but you don't have to use them, simply use a smaller ISP that will
offer SMTP authentication and does not get blacklisted, I use Merula,
http://www.merula.net/, they also offer ADSL.

The basic Blueyonder service is excellent, and goes down much less often
than ADSL (which I also have), you will often find problems moving to other
ISPs like ports or ICMP being blocked, or silly bandwidth restrictions, I
can do what I like with my 2 megs from Blueyonder.

Angus