D-Link DSL-200 gaausb.sys BSOD on XP Pro laptop

Old December 28th 03, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default D-Link DSL-200 gaausb.sys BSOD on XP Pro laptop

After months of looking on the web and emailing D-Link, I'm now at the end
of my tether, and I think I've Googled myself into a coma with info about XP
and this problem, so I was wondering if one of you good people could shed
light on it.

The problem: When my PC boots up, the ADSL Link light on the modem will
start flashing, and I will then get a BSOD reporting a problem with
gaausb.sys. This happens about 1 in 3 bootups.

I've got a D-Link DSL-200 version A2.
ADSL with Zen.
PC setup: WinXP Pro, Mitac Laptop
Board: MiTAC 5a
BIOS: Insyde Software V1.07 01/28/2003
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

Looking at the list above, one root hub is carrying the mouse and modem, the
other, nothing. I've tried moving the D-Link to other USB slots too.

ADSL adaptor config:
Modulation: G.DMT (although mutlimode is set in config)
Driver version: 1.12.0019Q-A (AtmUsb)
Control Panel version 3.1.21.1

Dlink said they had a specific XP driver, but the link they sent me was
broken.
I think I once found a later driver, but that was for PPPoE, and we use
PPPoATM here in the UK.
Unless I can somehow load the driver for PPPoE and then change it to
PPPoA??? Can't see a way.

The version of gaausb.sys (adsl usb driver) on my machine is: 1.12.19.0

And is there a firmware update for this modem?

I'm fully patched on XP, and I've read:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322205
and http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-probs.txt

When I submit the error report to MS, I get this page:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/Response.asp?SID=77#top

I really can't think of anything to add: Various bits of system info are
pasted below. Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I can't seem to completely remove the
driver, either. When I try to configure or uninstall it, I get:
"Unhandled exception. Error number 0x80020005 Description: Type Mismatch.
Setup will now terminate"
Same thing if I try and install over the top. I've tried their seperate
uninstaller, but it just says "your modem is removed, you may now reboot"
after about 1 millisecond and no disk activity. Of course,it's still there
after reboot!

And finally, I've crashed 3 times now with an NDIS.sys BSOD error, but I'm
pretty sure I might have been running Yahoopops at the time, but it doesn't
always happen when I run that app.

******************** IRQ SUMMARY ********************

IRQ Usage Summary:
(ISA) 0 System timer
(ISA) 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
(ISA) 3 VIA Fast Infrared Controller
(PCI) 5 Generic CardBus Controller
(PCI) 5 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
(PCI) 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
(PCI) 5 VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
(PCI) 5 HSP56 MR - M8375
(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real time clock
(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
(PCI) 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
(PCI) 10 VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
(PCI) 11 VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
(ISA) 12 Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device
(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor
(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel
(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel

Selected Resource Report - Page: 1

**** SYSTEM DEVICE CLASS USB CONTROLLERS***********

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
Resource:
IRQ: [00000010]
IO: [00001200 - 0000121F]
Device Drivers:

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
Resource:
IRQ: [00000005]
IO: [00001300 - 0000131F]
Device Drivers:

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
Resource:
IRQ: [00000011]
MEM: [F0000000 - F00000FF]
Device Drivers:

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: USB Root Hub
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: USB Root Hub
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Universal Serial Bus controllers
Device: USB 2.0 Root Hub
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

******** SYSTEM DEVICE CLASS NETWORK ADAPTORS***

Class: Network adapters
Device: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Resource:
IRQ: [00000010]
MEM: [F0000100 - F00001FF]
IO: [0000FC00 - 0000FCFF]
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: ATM Emulated LAN #2(unspecified ELAN name)
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: Infrared Port
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: WAN Miniport (L2TP)
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: WAN Miniport (IP)
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: WAN Miniport (PPTP)
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: ATM Emulated LAN #2(unspecified ELAN name) - Packet
Scheduler Mini
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: Direct Parallel
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

Class: Network adapters
Device: D-Link DSL-200 USB ADSL Modem (ATM) #2
No resources used.
Device Drivers:

In case anyone else has the same problems, I'm going to add some keywords to
help people search:
dlink dsl200 dsl 200 blue screen of death

Old December 25th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bilal

Hi,

Was this problem ever fixed? I am encountering the same problem now,
almost a year after this post

There is a Rev(ision?) B driver on d-link website for PPPoA, which
requires XP service pack 1. I haven't tried it yet.. installing fresh
winxp right now.

regards,
Bilal