5.65 km from exchange... BT say 5.50 is max

Old December 28th 03, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
satscene

Default 5.65 km from exchange... BT say 5.50 is max

I`m 5.65 cable length from our enabled exchange, BT says i`m over the limit
for broadband which seems to be 5.50 km here. Isn`t there now such a thing
as Extended ADSL which goes up to 6km? A neighbour `across the way` can get
it ok so how do i go about getting BT to even test it out? My dial-up always
gives me 48k plus so the line can`t be that bad? I`m getting nowhere with
their help desks etc

thanks
Roy.

Old December 28th 03, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

satscene wrote:
I`m 5.65 cable length from our enabled exchange, BT says i`m over the limit
for broadband which seems to be 5.50 km here. Isn`t there now such a thing
as Extended ADSL which goes up to 6km? A neighbour `across the way` can get
it ok so how do i go about getting BT to even test it out? My dial-up always
gives me 48k plus so the line can`t be that bad? I`m getting nowhere with
their help desks etc

thanks
Roy.

Rate-adaptive ADSL (RADSL) extends the line limits as follows:
o Line length - you must be within 5.5km of the exchange.
o Line Loss - a test for quality and noise, must be less than 55dB.
o Capacitance - the capacitance of the line must be less than 200nF

Old December 28th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

what has been said is true, how ever:

The distance is not the problem. The line loss and capacitance is the
problem. Lines can be over 5.5Km and still work , and also they can be
under 5.5 and not work. I think the estimated max length is now 6 Km any
way.

I can't remember the name of the order but i think its called a "manual
order", bt will then test the line and not rely on the line length.

hope this helps

Andrew

Old December 28th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Rusty wrote:
satscene wrote:
I`m 5.65 cable length from our enabled exchange, BT says i`m over
the limit for broadband which seems to be 5.50 km here. Isn`t
there now such a thing as Extended ADSL which goes up to 6km? A
neighbour `across the way` can get it ok so how do i go about
getting BT to even test it out? My dial-up always gives me 48k
plus so the line can`t be that bad? I`m getting nowhere with their
help desks etc

thanks
Roy.

Rate-adaptive ADSL (RADSL) extends the line limits as follows:
o Line length - you must be within 5.5km of the exchange.
o Line Loss - a test for quality and noise, must be less than 55dB.
o Capacitance - the capacitance of the line must be less than 200nF

Rusty I'm afraid that your information is exactly that, RADSL upper limit is
now 60db, with appropiate adjustments to other measurements as well. _BUT_
the 5.5-6km distance is not important it's the line loss & signal to noise
ratio which is important...

Roy I'd suggest you try again with another ISP asking for a manual test on
your line, it may be that you are out of limits (if so then sorry there's
nothing to be done) but it may be that you are very close but not over so it
could pass a manual test whilst failing an automatic one.

As a second thought you haven't stated which ISP you are trying to sign on
for, if it's Tiscalli there's your problem go with another ISP as Tiscalli
do order service levels greater than what there end users ask for...

Old December 28th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Kráftéé wrote:

Rusty wrote:

satscene wrote:

I`m 5.65 cable length from our enabled exchange, BT says i`m over
the limit for broadband which seems to be 5.50 km here. Isn`t
there now such a thing as Extended ADSL which goes up to 6km? A
neighbour `across the way` can get it ok so how do i go about
getting BT to even test it out? My dial-up always gives me 48k
plus so the line can`t be that bad? I`m getting nowhere with their
help desks etc

thanks
Roy.

Rate-adaptive ADSL (RADSL) extends the line limits as follows:
o Line length - you must be within 5.5km of the exchange.
o Line Loss - a test for quality and noise, must be less than 55dB.
o Capacitance - the capacitance of the line must be less than 200nF

Rusty I'm afraid that your information is exactly that

not my limits - they are bt's. I suggest you re-read the op.

Old December 28th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Rusty" [email protected] wrote in message
Rate-adaptive ADSL (RADSL) extends the line limits as follows:
o Line length - you must be within 5.5km of the exchange.
o Line Loss - a test for quality and noise, must be less than 55dB.
o Capacitance - the capacitance of the line must be less than 200nF

Rusty I'm afraid that your information is exactly that

not my limits - they are bt's. I suggest you re-read the op.

Whoever gave those limits to the OP was wrong - BT Wholesale changed the
"acceptable" 512K line test result several months ago to 60dB and increased
the line length "guidance" to 6km - though as others have said the distance
isn't really relevant, it is the line quality/SNR readings that really count
and if possible thats what the OP should get hold of from his original ISP.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 28th 03, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Rusty wrote:
Kráftéé wrote:

Rusty wrote:

satscene wrote:

[...]

Suggest you do exactly that, or talk to Mr Peppar who has written the
engineers (nationally used) test software to pass anything up to & including
60db. 55db was the old limit before the advent of RADSL & seeing that all
(yes _ALL_) self installs were RADSL up to the advent of the 1meg home user
service which is being rolled out it does show your information to be
'rusty'...

Old December 28th 03, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
[...]

Ta Sunil, do you live here or have you got a 'real' job???

Old December 28th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:32:16 UTC, Rusty [email protected] wrote:

not my limits - they are bt's. I suggest you re-read the op.

Yes, but they aren't BT's limits....the BT limits are now 6.0km/60dB. As
he said you are rusty!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old December 28th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Kráftéé wrote:

Suggest you do exactly that, or talk to Mr Peppar who has written the
engineers (nationally used) test software to pass anything up to & including
60db. 55db was the old limit before the advent of RADSL

The old limit before RADSL was 41dB (3.5km). RADSL was introduced for
the 512k service only and the limit increased to 55dB (5.5km). As the OP
said, the Extended Reach trial increased the limit to 60dB (6km).
Remember now?