Anyone using satellite broadband?

Old December 29th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Turrell

Default Anyone using satellite broadband?

i use AOL and central point.

They are very cheap and with the AOL dial-up, you dont get cut off all the!

I find this setup excellent!

I listen to radio stations off the net in CD quality and it is perfect,
(busy periods do slow a bit!)

I do a lot of brwosing and i find this certainly faster than normal dialup,
i wouldnt let satellite go now, as broadband isnt in my area, its perfect.

I do large downloads too, and just before xmas, i upgraded to a 1mbps
account, and i couldnt believe how quick i was downloading! It was
fantastic!

stuart

"Peter" wrote in message
news

Various people offer this, 50/month and above. For people like me in
a village where BT will probably never do it, it's an option.

BT are being suprisingly honest on their website about the limitations
of their satellite offering. They say the long time delay to/from the
satellite causes many internet applications to not work.

For example, a web page containing hundreds of objects (as many
"slick" commercial sites do) would take a very long time to load.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old December 29th 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , Stuart Turrell
writes
i use AOL and central point.

They are very cheap and with the AOL dial-up, you dont get cut off all the!

I find this setup excellent!

I listen to radio stations off the net in CD quality and it is perfect,
(busy periods do slow a bit!)

I do a lot of brwosing and i find this certainly faster than normal dialup,
i wouldnt let satellite go now, as broadband isnt in my area, its perfect.

I do large downloads too, and just before xmas, i upgraded to a 1mbps
account, and i couldnt believe how quick i was downloading! It was
fantastic!

stuart

Lucky you!!

The question related to us poor sods who will "never" get wired
broadband. In fact my exchange is so old that it is not even system X
enabled... so max connection speed is around 37K:-(

"Peter" wrote in message
news

Various people offer this, 50/month and above. For people like me in
a village where BT will probably never do it, it's an option.

BT are being suprisingly honest on their website about the limitations
of their satellite offering. They say the long time delay to/from the
satellite causes many internet applications to not work.

For example, a web page containing hundreds of objects (as many
"slick" commercial sites do) would take a very long time to load.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Wally Hayward
Free download. Block SPAM Now!
http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/5712

Old December 30th 03, 06:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:34, Walter Hayward wrote:

In fact my exchange is so old that it is not even system X
enabled...

However it is likely to provide you with all facilities if it is a
"system Y" (AXE 10) exchange, and presumably is not precluded from
getting ADSL at some point. Parts of my local exchange are Sys X,
and parts aren't. I doubt it makes a jot of difference concerning
ADSL availability or installation, BICBW.
Old December 30th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , Peter
Morgan - 0870 432 9631 writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:34, Walter Hayward wrote:

In fact my exchange is so old that it is not even system X
enabled...

However it is likely to provide you with all facilities if it is a
"system Y" (AXE 10) exchange, and presumably is not precluded from
getting ADSL at some point. Parts of my local exchange are Sys X,
and parts aren't. I doubt it makes a jot of difference concerning
ADSL availability or installation, BICBW.

Maybe I should also add that it is a "satellite" exchange fed from a
larger exchange by microwave link

According to BT the exchange "is never likely to be ASDL enabled".
"The cost of updating such Exchanges prohibits the setting of realistic
trigger levels".
Whether it is uneccomic due to the exchange itself, or the microwave
link, they "could not confirm".
"We are looking at alternative ways of bringing broadband to your area..
such as Satellite":-(