IPPhone thingummies

Old December 29th 03, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

Default IPPhone thingummies

I've got a pipex account and I'm messing about with net2phone.

Does anybody know of any English versions (that bill in English rather
than American), versions that don't have hideous amounts of
advertising with their interfaces, versions that have a phone number
so people can dial your PC from a conventional phone? I've heard BT
Broadband do one but I haven't got BT Broadband.

Cheers

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
The terrorist state of Israel has 200 nuclear weapons targetted at Arab
Old December 29th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"King Queen" wrote in message
I've got a pipex account and I'm messing about with net2phone.

Does anybody know of any English versions (that bill in English rather
than American), versions that don't have hideous amounts of
advertising with their interfaces, versions that have a phone number
so people can dial your PC from a conventional phone? I've heard BT
Broadband do one but I haven't got BT Broadband.

There don't seem to be that many UK specific ones available - I think mainly
due to the fact the calls tend to cost more than normal landline calls.

Daniel

Old December 29th 03, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"King Queen" wrote in message
I've got a pipex account and I'm messing about with net2phone.

Does anybody know of any English versions (that bill in English rather
than American), versions that don't have hideous amounts of
advertising with their interfaces, versions that have a phone number
so people can dial your PC from a conventional phone? I've heard BT
Broadband do one but I haven't got BT Broadband.

The BT one is at http://www.bt.com/broadbandvoice

It is not specific to BT Broadband and can be used on any ADSL ISP or if
someone is using a cable modem service, on that too, as you don't need to be
an existing BT customer or have a BT telephone line.

http://www.vonage.com/ have also indicated they plan to launch a UK service
sometime next year as well.

Regards
Sunil

Old December 30th 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:58:47 +0000, King Queen
wrote:

I've got a pipex account and I'm messing about with net2phone.

Does anybody know of any English versions (that bill in English rather
than American), versions that don't have hideous amounts of
advertising with their interfaces, versions that have a phone number
so people can dial your PC from a conventional phone? I've heard BT
Broadband do one but I haven't got BT Broadband.

=
you can use http://www.pulver.com/fwd/ and there is a service (link on
the site) which will give you either a USA number (landline) or an
0870 number (UK.) Advantage of FWD is that no line rental.
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old December 30th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

wrote:

I've got a pipex account and I'm messing about with net2phone.

Does anybody know of any English versions (that bill in English rather
than American), versions that don't have hideous amounts of
advertising with their interfaces, versions that have a phone number
so people can dial your PC from a conventional phone? I've heard BT
Broadband do one but I haven't got BT Broadband.

=
you can use http://www.pulver.com/fwd/ and there is a service (link on
the site) which will give you either a USA number (landline) or an
0870 number (UK.) Advantage of FWD is that no line rental.
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.

Looks like their service has changed...

From the FAQ.

Can I call people on their cell phones or traditional home phones?

No, Free World Dialup does not provide access to the traditional telephone
networks or cellular networks. FWD members can only call other FWD members.
Old December 30th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Brown

"Moonshine" wrote in message

Looks like their service has changed...

From the FAQ.

Can I call people on their cell phones or traditional home phones?

No, Free World Dialup does not provide access to the traditional telephone
networks or cellular networks. FWD members can only call other FWD

members.

But the OP asked for a VoIP service that can be reached from a PSTN phone
line. If you sign up with FWD, then you can sign up for UK (0870) number
from http://fwd.calluk.com/(bykcddmj23zrh...)/Default.aspx which
will allow incoming calls from that number to be connected to your FWD
account. You can also get a US (area code 360) number from
http://www.ipkall.com/ which will connect with your FWD account also.

Free calls to a PSTN phone line ends on the 31st Dec 2003.