2 Lines, both extended, where to plug ADSL?

Old January 13th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pawhe

Default 2 Lines, both extended, where to plug ADSL?

Current:
2 x BT Lines ("L1" and "L2") terminate/presented at point A in House (L1 =
"Home", L2 = "Work")
There is currently a 6-wire laid from Point A to point B
L1 has a DECT phone, so no cabled extensions
L2 uses two of the 6-wire to provide an Extension of L2 at Point B (used by
2 modems and a phone - ignore REN!)

Futu
ADSL is to be enabled on L1
I then want to present both L2 normal phone at Point B, and L1 ADSL (for
'local' connection to ADSL modem/router) at Point B

Question:
Can I use 2 discrete pairs of wires from the 6-wire to extend the 2 lines at
A, to Point B? Where would MicroFilters go? Would there be any crosstalk
or interference on the L2 Phone line at Point B, whilst ADSL is active? Can
I still use the L2 Phone line for Modem use whilst ADSL is active?

As an aside - at work our ADSL presentation is what looks like a standard BT
Master Phone Socket, but with an additional bit that has the ADSL socket on
it, next to the phone socket. For home use, (and forgetting packages where
BT/whoever install a modem or router), do BT still attend site and replace
the master phone socket? Or do they simply send through/provide some form
of "Y" cable for you to plug into the Phone socket that then presents the
Phone and the ADSL? (and if so, could, I assume, be used at any extension
point in the house?).

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.

Old January 13th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:04:32 -0000, "pawhe"
wrote:

As an aside - at work our ADSL presentation is what looks like a standard BT
Master Phone Socket, but with an additional bit that has the ADSL socket on
it, next to the phone socket. For home use, (and forgetting packages where
BT/whoever install a modem or router), do BT still attend site and replace
the master phone socket? Or do they simply send through/provide some form
of "Y" cable for you to plug into the Phone socket that then presents the
Phone and the ADSL? (and if so, could, I assume, be used at any extension
point in the house?).

BT put the ADSL signal on the line along with voice and leave you to
keep it out of non-ADSL devices by protecting them with microfilters.
The faceplate splitter you describe presents a filtered (for phones)
line and an unfiltered (for ADSL modems) connection on a revised
faceplate, you can get these from weww.clarity.it and other suppliers.

A normal modem wil work over a line that carries ADSL, providing it
has a microfilter or is fed from a filtered conneciton.

You can choose to have ADSL go everywhere, and filter it out of
non-ADSL devices, or you can split it up as it enters and route the
adsl and the voice separately. The latter always seems better to me.

Phil