Dynamic vs. Static IP?

Old January 18th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

Default Dynamic vs. Static IP?

My exchange goes live in two weeks - Woo!
I've just preordered Home ADSL 1Mb from PlusNet - Yey!
I'm going to order a Netgear DG834 Modem/Firewall/Router - Hoopla!

One question that still vexes me is whether to keep the default dynamic IP
address or to enable the Static IP support (at no extra charge)?

I have heard that static IPs can be a disadvantage if you suffer from DOS
attacks or hackers in general - how common is this problem for simple home
users? How good would the above firewall/router be at keeping these out?

For the time being I won't be running any servers which would require a static
IP (ie. SMTP, FTP or HTTP), the only other advantage of a static IP I can
think of was on dialup in the old-days in order to be able to resume downloads
etc, but that's no longer a problem for ADSL, right?

Can anyone offer a clear summary of pros and cons for static vs dynamic IPs
(as there's probably a number of issues I've missed) thanks,

PSB

PS - FWIW - I've just done an evaluation of all the top ADSL ISPs. As at
January 2004, out of the top ten ISPs on ISPReview, PlusNET comes out top for
both 512Kb and 1Mb connections (based on Monthly Fee for a reliable and fast
connection with good support, but ignoring any email or webspace extras).

Old January 18th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

In article ,
says...
My exchange goes live in two weeks - Woo!
I've just preordered Home ADSL 1Mb from PlusNet - Yey!
I'm going to order a Netgear DG834 Modem/Firewall/Router - Hoopla!

One question that still vexes me is whether to keep the default dynamic IP
address or to enable the Static IP support (at no extra charge)?

AFAIK, the default setup for Plusnet is to have a static IP, but you can
have a dynamic one if you ask.

I certainly didn't ask, and I got a static one, which I'm happy about,
because I run some servers.

I have heard that static IPs can be a disadvantage if you suffer from DOS
attacks or hackers in general - how common is this problem for simple home
users? How good would the above firewall/router be at keeping these out?

I've got a Speedtouch 510V4, and apparently, it's got protection against DOS
(not saying all) attacks, because of its hardware firewall.

For the time being I won't be running any servers which would require a static
IP (ie. SMTP, FTP or HTTP), the only other advantage of a static IP I can
think of was on dialup in the old-days in order to be able to resume downloads
etc, but that's no longer a problem for ADSL, right?

It could be.

Even if you had dynamic IP, I'd hope the IP would only change when you
turned your router off, so for the most part, it's not a problem

Can anyone offer a clear summary of pros and cons for static vs dynamic IPs
(as there's probably a number of issues I've missed) thanks,

IIRC, there was a discussion about this on this group a little while ago.
Try doing an advanced google groups search for static dynamic IP on group
uk.telecom.broadband.

PS - FWIW - I've just done an evaluation of all the top ADSL ISPs. As at
January 2004, out of the top ten ISPs on ISPReview, PlusNET comes out top for
both 512Kb and 1Mb connections (based on Monthly Fee for a reliable and fast
connection with good support, but ignoring any email or webspace extras).

I have email and WWW hosted by someone else, so this was irrelevant for me,
as was the fact their news servers are a bit flaky for binary groups, which
again, isn't a problem to me.

Been very happy with the service so far though.

shameless begging

Do you have a referrer? If you don't, how's about giving Plusnet my username
- lethe, and I'll get 50p/month off my line rental?

Hey! If you don't ask, you don't get :-)

/shameless begging

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail
Old January 18th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

"Pete Smith" wrote in message

shameless begging

Do you have a referrer? If you don't, how's about giving Plusnet my username
- lethe, and I'll get 50p/month off my line rental?

Hey! If you don't ask, you don't get :-)

/shameless begging

Thanks Pete, I signed up yesterday without using a referer. Had a look but I
couldn't see how to specify a referer post-signup. if you can find a way to do
it then I'll gladly use your username.

Old January 18th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , PsychicStickleBrick
writes
[...]

One point to remember, static IPs will help to ensure your mail gets
through the various spam filters used by your recipient's ISPs.
Primarily, because they know that if they get ANY spam complaint (valid
or not) they can trace the originator much more easily.
Certainly if you are going to run a mail smtp server (for directly
sending mail), then a large number of your recipient ISPS will
automatically trash it if you use a dynamic IP for this purpose.
Another "advantage" of a static IP is that you "should" only get
blacklisted if you do spam (or someone clones your IP)... unlike the use
of dynamic IPs when your account can get blacklisted and blocked simply
because someone else on your ISP has been and so the whole block
allocated to that ISP is blacklisted.. no fault of your own.

Yes, this does happen.... one of my accounts with Tesco.net was blocked
by certain ISps because someone else using Tesco net had been spamming
and my dynamic IP fell into the same group

Also Some software will only run with a static IP

Wally Hayward
Free download. Block SPAM Now! http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/5712

Old January 18th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Ruben

In article , PsychicStickleBrick
writes
PS - FWIW - I've just done an evaluation of all the top ADSL ISPs. As at
January 2004, out of the top ten ISPs on ISPReview, PlusNET comes out top for
both 512Kb and 1Mb connections (based on Monthly Fee for a reliable and fast
connection with good support, but ignoring any email or webspace extras).

I too have done an evaluation, and found that PlusNet was one of the few
ISPs that combine unlimited e-mail addresses, dial-up backup and local-
rate support calls.
--
Tom
Old January 19th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nathan

AFAIK, the default setup for Plusnet is to have a static IP, but you
can have a dynamic one if you ask.

I'm with plusNet and you can't have a dynamic IP with ADSL. I requested it
and they said it is something that they may offer in the future. If you need
to change your IP, they will, but only if you have a good reason (i.e.
getting yourself banned from something is usually not a good reason).

HTH
--
Nathan