OT (?) HP Ipaq / PDA / Pcket PC 2003 query

Old January 18th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default OT (?) HP Ipaq / PDA / Pcket PC 2003 query

I know very little about these PDA's. Are you able to browse with IE etc
view / listen streaming video / radio etc on the PDA if you are obviously
conected wirelessly to your main pc in the same way you can with a laptop ?

How do they cope with video playback and broadand feeds with their far
smaller amount of RAM and processor power max of 400MHz ? ie I guess playing
DVD video is no go ?

Are the recon ones on ebay worth going for or should I buy new ?

Old January 18th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

?

How do they cope with video playback and broadand feeds with their far
smaller amount of RAM and processor power max of 400MHz ? ie I guess

playing
DVD video is no go ?

Are the recon ones on ebay worth going for or should I buy new ?

The screen resolution is very small, at only 320x240 on most devices except
the big HP ones.

A 400 desktop loaded with a wastefull OS can play a movie, so a PDA with a
'slim' OS can happily play it.

When you want to put movies on there, you need to convert them to a PDA
friendly format, Windows Movie Maker does this nicely. Video really eats
away at the memory though.

Finally, i would recomment that you buy new, and stay away from the iPaq's
with the button release stylus. they break after a few dozen clicks.

Hamman

Old January 18th 04, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"HamMan" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I know very little about these PDA's. Are you able to browse with IE etc
view / listen streaming video / radio etc on the PDA if you are

obviously
conected wirelessly to your main pc in the same way you can with a

laptop
?

How do they cope with video playback and broadand feeds with their far
smaller amount of RAM and processor power max of 400MHz ? ie I guess

playing
DVD video is no go ?

Are the recon ones on ebay worth going for or should I buy new ?

The screen resolution is very small, at only 320x240 on most devices

except
the big HP ones.

A 400 desktop loaded with a wastefull OS can play a movie, so a PDA with a
'slim' OS can happily play it.

Not sure what you mean by wastefull ?? What I mean is can you view streaming
video directly on the PDA from pkcet pc's internet explorer assuming the o/s
has a browser etc ?

When you want to put movies on there, you need to convert them to a PDA
friendly format, Windows Movie Maker does this nicely. Video really eats
away at the memory though.

Hmm so you can't play avi, mpeg files you load in via a flash drive or SD
card then ? Or play files from a main pc wirelessly ??

Finally, i would recomment that you buy new, and stay away from the iPaq's
with the button release stylus. they break after a few dozen clicks.

What's the 1930 like with its slower 203 cpu ?

Old January 19th 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:50:31 -0000, Dave wrote:

I know very little about these PDA's. Are you able to browse with IE etc
view / listen streaming video / radio etc on the PDA if you are obviously
conected wirelessly to your main pc in the same way you can with a laptop ?

Pop into the forums on Tekguru, a similar thread has just been running.
--
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site