ISP's to shop P2P users! Demon what happened to your integrity as an ISP?

Old January 18th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Wango´¯`·.¸¸.·

Default ISP's to shop P2P users! Demon what happened to your integrity as an ISP?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...EZFEyZOJUTJEDK

Old January 18th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny Horne

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, ·.¸¸.·´¯`Wango´¯`·.¸¸.· wrote:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...EZFEyZOJUTJEDK

You forgot an important word in your subject, 'illegal'.
FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
Old January 19th 04, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...EZFEyZOJUTJEDK

It would seem that "what happened to their integrity as an ISP" is
that they got some.

Integrity does NOT mean protecting any of your customers you know are
breaking the law. In fact it means exactly the opposite.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Neurotic: Self-taut person.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old January 19th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nwsy

wrote:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...EZFEyZOJUTJEDK

It would seem that "what happened to their integrity as an ISP" is
that they got some.

Integrity does NOT mean protecting any of your customers you know are
breaking the law. In fact it means exactly the opposite.

I'm on Demon and I have first-hand experience of their policies regarding
illegal filesharing.

A few months back, Universal caught me sharing a TS of Bruce Almighty. They
emailed Demon, who opened an Abuse ticket about me, asked me politely to
stop sharing it and forwarded the original Universal email to me. I deleted
the file, informed them and Universal that I'd done it and everything was
fine.

It seems like Demon's basically doing the same thing they've been doing
previously, but saving themselves work by passing on the email address of
the offender instead of doing the work themselves.

Taking action against users for illegal filesharing is just upholding the
terms of their AUP.

I don't have a problem with Demons' decision and I'm not worried -
especially as the organisations doing the complaining have no legal rights
in the UK. They are also increasingly unsupported by EU law, the economical
reality, and their own people.

And why am I not surprised AOL is getting all gung-ho? AOL TIME WARNER, that
big entertainment conglomerate. Can't work that one out at all

--
Somebody sneaked in here and committed a neatness!
http://hedgewitch.blogspot.com

Old January 19th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm on Demon and I have first-hand experience of their policies regarding
illegal filesharing.
A few months back, Universal caught me sharing a TS of Bruce Almighty.

If you don`t mind me asking, what method were you using to share it ?

Old January 19th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If you don`t mind me asking, what method were you using to share it ?
Kazaa

Cheers - I think I tried it once and forgot about it again quickly :-]

Old January 19th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Kazaa users can be easily traced by there IP address back to there ISP,by
the RIAA and there port tracking software that interrogates P2P programs but
Kazaa +++ Lite has the ports the RIAA use for tracking blocked so they cant
track you.

I had a similar letter passed to me by my ISP via the RIAA stating I had
downloaded and was sharing T3, the laugh of it was it was, was the file was
called terminator 3 but the actual film turned out to be Fight Club, so they
are still ****ing in the wind and don't really know what you have on your PC
to share, you could call it what you like and share it and they don't know
because they cant open the files to find out.

Read some of the convictions they screwed up, like the MAC user accused of
downloading and sharing files on Kazaa .................. there isn't a
version of Kazaa that will run on a MAC ................ just a bunch of
suites given a PC and told what to do they haven't got a clue.

Is the RIAA going to convict the Russian Government for example there all
running pirated XP software.

t...

Old January 20th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
\intolerance\

"Danny Horne" wrote in message
-snip-
You forgot an important word in your subject, 'illegal'.
--

And you forgot about legitimate file sharing - your assumption is flawed.

Gary

Old January 20th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
\intolerance\

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
-snip-
Integrity does NOT mean protecting any of your customers you know are
breaking the law. In fact it means exactly the opposite.
--

Integrity is a word you need to look up in that case and take a look at
innocent, until, proven, guilty, assumption and legitimate ;-)

Gary