BT 1mb 1GB a day Cap

Old January 19th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fatty

Default BT 1mb 1GB a day Cap

"Earlier yesterday we reported prices and details for the imminent launch of
BT Yahoo Broadband 1MB. Well, now we have learned that the new service
appears to have an added feature.
Along with the usual suspects of a 1MB offering, BT Yahoo Broadband will
also fitting in a 1GB daily cap. However, at this early stage of the caps
introduction, the limitation will not be compulsary, BT electing to have the
cap remaining advisory only. Notification of the cap will not appear in the
BT Yahoo Broadband 1MB offerings Terms and Conditions, with BT favoring to
introduce it slowly via the products FAQs which will be available closer to
launch. The BT Groups' other ISP, BT Broadband has a similar non compulsary
1GB cap.

A sign of anticipated network congestion with the soon to be available 1MB
product ? With some users citing the network being already heavily
congested, this could simply be a move designed to aid the ISP into improved
network management" - Extract from UK- BUG website
http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op...icle&sid= 157

what does the " limitation will not be compulsary" mean?

Does that mean as a home user i can have the cap removed?

Old January 19th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:13:02 UTC, "fatty" wrote:

what does the " limitation will not be compulsary" mean?

It means they'll apply it when they feel like it. So you will not know
quite where you are.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old January 19th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On 19 Jan 2004 11:38:11 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:13:02 UTC, "fatty" wrote:

what does the " limitation will not be compulsary" mean?

It means they'll apply it when they feel like it. So you will not know
quite where you are.

lol

A cynical (but some would say) accurate answer.

--
Andy Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net : The UK Broadband Usergroup.
Old January 19th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

what does the " limitation will not be compulsary" mean?

It means they'll apply it when they feel like it. So you will not
know quite where you are.

lol

A cynical (but some would say) accurate answer.

Why cynical, it's exactly how NTL are with theirs.....

Old January 22nd 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert of northworthige

In article , fatty writes
"Earlier yesterday we reported prices and details for the imminent launch of
BT Yahoo Broadband 1MB. Well, now we have learned that the new service
appears to have an added feature.
Along with the usual suspects of a 1MB offering, BT Yahoo Broadband will
also fitting in a 1GB daily cap.

/Plea/
Perhaps it's because I'm a crusty old physicist, but I really would like
people to use units consistently, and preferably following normal SI
conventions.
Do you mean 1Mb/s and 1GB (where b is a bit, B a byte - yes, this isn't
SI but it has some international backing and logical consistency)?

The term mb ( milli bit? not even 'per second'!) and later MB in the
same posts is just darn sloppy - and corrupts the minds of the young.
//

--
robert of northworthige
Old January 22nd 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(robert of northworthige) wrote:

In article , fatty writes
[...]

Hurrah !

From a crusty old engineer, SI units. Aah, a breath of fresh air !

All this talk of millibars, these guys must be under pressure !!

Anyway, I thought that there were moves afoot to try to standardise, and
to clear the confusion between the decimal k and the computer k.

1000 != 1024

A change of name was propoesed.

1 kilobit is 1000 bits
1 kibibit is 1025 bits and so on.

Ref:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon.htm

It's not just here though, how often do you see adverts for something
measured in CM ??? or even worse CM's ???? :-(

- Steve

Old January 22nd 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

Default When is a G/gig :o) not a G/gig ?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:42:19 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve) wrote:

In article ,
(robert of northworthige) wrote:

Hurrah !

From a crusty old engineer, SI units. Aah, a breath of fresh air !

All this talk of millibars, these guys must be under pressure !!

/groan

Anyway, I thought that there were moves afoot to try to standardise, and
to clear the confusion between the decimal k and the computer k.

1000 != 1024

A change of name was propoesed.

1 kilobit is 1000 bits
1 kibibit is 1025 bits and so on.

Ref:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon.htm

lol .. well if the technical accuracy of ones writting is the only
cause for concern, I must be doing something right ? lol smirk

Working for an IT company (yeah yeah, it makes it worse that I get my
M's and B's mixed up), sometime ago, we had a discussion about what
value actually constituted a "gig". Talking to a physicist (whats
with all you guys coming out of the woodwork, anyway ??) it was
raised that a 'gig' always has been, 1000, not, as computer users
understand the concept, 1024.

Strange how people take an adhered standard, and _totally_ alter it
(someimes to its detriment), and it become common practise to use it
in its new form.

Good link to that site though .. definatley one for the bookmark !
--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old January 22nd 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

(Steve) wrote:

In article ,
(robert of northworthige) wrote:

Hurrah !

From a crusty old engineer, SI units. Aah, a breath of fresh air !

[...]

I think it depends on what you are referring to that decides what value
you put to kilo~ or Giga~, or micro~ or pico~. Since I spend most of my
time working in values of 10^-x everyone agrees that we are working with
denary values.

Move the other side of the decimal point, and it's only in the field of
computers, and anything working in binary or hexadecimal that things get
muddled.

I'll see if I can find you a 1024 Ohm resistor, then you can call it a 1k
resistor, and unless I happen to be looking in the 1% tol. drawer, we
should both be happy ;-)

- Steve

Old January 23rd 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In message , Steve
writes:

[]
I'll see if I can find you a 1024 Ohm resistor, then you can call it a 1k
resistor, and unless I happen to be looking in the 1% tol. drawer, we
should both be happy ;-)

I bet Tektronix have some!

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and