NTL install on Friday - Advice wanted

Old January 19th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

Default NTL install on Friday - Advice wanted

Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.

I'll be travelling down to see her on Friday evening and will set the
PC up for her. I'll be taking one of those Ebuyer 2.41 NICs Quickfind
31095 to fit in her PCI Dell PC.

I have read a couple of messages in this group regarding registration
etc - one notably from Mike Jones on 6 Jan.

Mum already has an existing ntlworld email and web space - how will
this be affected? Or won't it?

Also, will mum need to register the MAC address on Friday once
installed? I seem to remember having to register a MAC address when I
had NTL installed about 3 years ago. I don't want to get back to mum's
at 8pm on Friday only to discover that the MAC registration line shuts
for the weekend at 7pm

Any hints or tips gratefully received.

Mum's PC is W98 with 64 Meg memory.

Thanks for any help

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Old January 19th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Corley

Make sure you have a proper firewall, either Zone Alarm or even the RP614
from netgear.

Old January 19th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 19 Jan 2004, Nozza wrote

Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.

I'll be travelling down to see her on Friday evening and will set
the PC up for her. I'll be taking one of those Ebuyer 2.41 NICs
Quickfind 31095 to fit in her PCI Dell PC.

I have read a couple of messages in this group regarding
registration etc - one notably from Mike Jones on 6 Jan.

Mum already has an existing ntlworld email and web space - how
will this be affected? Or won't it?

Also, will mum need to register the MAC address on Friday once
installed? I seem to remember having to register a MAC address
when I had NTL installed about 3 years ago. I don't want to get
back to mum's at 8pm on Friday only to discover that the MAC
registration line shuts for the weekend at 7pm

Any hints or tips gratefully received.

Mum's PC is W98 with 64 Meg memory.

Can't help with the registration questions -- it's been 3 years since I
did that, and I've forgotten the details -- but it would be worth
phoning to check about the MAC issue, and also to read through the
stuff on Robin Walker's pages --
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html)

FWIW, I'd also buy her a prezzie and bring along an extra stick of RAM
for her. Once you've installed a firewall -- you *are* installing a
firewall for her, yes? -- and she decides to run her e-mail and
some other stuff in the background, my guess is she's going to need
more memory than that.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Old January 19th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:42:51 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:

Can't help with the registration questions -- it's been 3 years since I
did that, and I've forgotten the details -- but it would be worth
phoning to check about the MAC issue, and also to read through the
stuff on Robin Walker's pages --
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html)

FWIW, I'd also buy her a prezzie and bring along an extra stick of RAM
for her. Once you've installed a firewall -- you *are* installing a
firewall for her, yes? -- and she decides to run her e-mail and
some other stuff in the background, my guess is she's going to need
more memory than that.

More memory... have you seen the price of memory Dells? Blimey! It'd
be cheaper to buy a new PC! Seriously - Ebuyer sell pcs at about 250
quid, and dell want around 110 for more. Unless of course...

The PC is a PIII 550 and runs fine with OE and IE.

As for a firewall - I've downloaded the latest zonelabs thingie in
preparation.

When I upgrade this machine - it'll find a good home with mum - but in
the mean time

Thanks for the tips and links

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Old January 19th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:20:20 -0000, "Tony Corley"
wrote:

Make sure you have a proper firewall, either Zone Alarm or even the RP614
from netgear.
"Nozza" wrote in message
.. .
Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk

Thanks - yes - have downloaded Zonealarm in preparation.

Cheers

Noz

--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Old January 20th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:04:02 +0000, Zapp Brannigan
wrote:

Nozza wrote:
Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.

My advice, avoid NTL like te plague.....

I was with them, it was horrendous, **** poor reliability, and made it
near impossible to leave them (I had to contact my bank and cancel the
direct debit, as it was so diffucult to cancel it through NTL.).

As a balance to this, I've been with NTL for nearly 12 months now and
receive perfectly good service. The news servers are a bit dodgy, tho
the text only one is ok, and email is sometimes sporadic, bot
connectivity and general internet use is good.

Old January 20th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

Can't help with the registration questions -- it's been 3 years since I
did that, and I've forgotten the details -- but it would be worth
phoning to check about the MAC issue, and also to read through the
stuff on Robin Walker's pages --
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html)

FWIW, I'd also buy her a prezzie and bring along an extra stick of RAM
for her. Once you've installed a firewall -- you *are* installing a
firewall for her, yes? -- and she decides to run her e-mail and
some other stuff in the background, my guess is she's going to need
more memory than that.

More memory... have you seen the price of memory Dells? Blimey! It'd
be cheaper to buy a new PC! Seriously - Ebuyer sell pcs at about 250
quid, and dell want around 110 for more. Unless of course...

Crucial sell memory for Dells. An extra 64 MB should be around a tenner.

http://www.crucial.com/

Old January 20th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Nozza wrote:
Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.

My advice, avoid NTL like te plague.....

I was with them, it was horrendous, **** poor reliability, and made it
near impossible to leave them (I had to contact my bank and cancel the
direct debit, as it was so diffucult to cancel it through NTL.).

As a balance to this, I've been with NTL for nearly 12 months now and
receive perfectly good service. The news servers are a bit dodgy, tho
the text only one is ok, and email is sometimes sporadic, bot
connectivity and general internet use is good.

Not the kind of Internet experience I would be happy with and I
suspect many others as well. I'll put this ISP in the same pile as
AOL and BT.

DAVID BRADLEY

Old January 20th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Ravin Chicken

"David Bradley" wrote in message

Not the kind of Internet experience I would be happy with and I
suspect many others as well. I'll put this ISP in the same pile as
AOL and BT.

DAVID BRADLEY

NTL are fine, As Mark said they have some "Minor" Problems from time to
time..

Not as bad as Bt anyway.

Old January 20th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

wrote:
Nozza wrote:

Mum is getting NTL Broadband installed at her home on Friday.

My advice, avoid NTL like te plague.....

-snip-

As a balance to this, I've been with NTL for nearly 12 months now
and receive perfectly good service.

-snip-

It may depend on how you connect, my bad experiences were on their
56k dialup NTL Home.

-snip-

Since going to broadband and Plusnet, everything has been
fantastic...

I was never with ntl dial-up, so I can't speak about that -- but I've
had the 512K (now 600K) service for just over three years, and I'm
very happy with it.

I've had one major problem (early on -- a couple of months in), which
was solved within a week; apart from that, only the sort of short
outages that can hit any system. (Maybe 2 or 3 in the three years.)