line sharing device (dacs) and broadband

Old January 20th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
banzai

Default line sharing device (dacs) and broadband

Morning punters,

Sorry if this may have been asked before but the online bt broadband checker
returns my home line as having a line sharing device fitted and further
checks would be necessarry to see if I could have broadband enabled (the
exchange is soon to be upgraded). I called bt who said they'd only be able
to let me know if broadband is possible at my address after i place an
order. They also vaguely stated that moves were being made to get all homes
onto single lines by April so that ADSL could be delivered to individual
properties - this contradicts info i've seen on another web sites that
suggests "BT may not be able to remove the DACS if there are no spare lines
between your home and the exchange. That means you will not be able to get
ADSL"

Can anybody clarify please ?

Thanks

Old January 20th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Josey

"banzai" wrote in message

Can anybody clarify please ?

Sure, do like they say, place an order with you ISP of choice (There are
cheaper/better alternatives to BT!) and then BT will endeavour to remove the
DACS to provide you with ADSL.

I've never heard anyone say about all DACS being removed anyway. This seems
costly, and unlikely to me, but I could be wrong.

Jc.

Old January 20th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
David Bradley

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:42:40 -0000, "Josey"
wrote:

"banzai" wrote in message

Can anybody clarify please ?

Sure, do like they say, place an order with you ISP of choice (There are
cheaper/better alternatives to BT!) and then BT will endeavour to remove the
DACS to provide you with ADSL.

I've never heard anyone say about all DACS being removed anyway. This seems
costly, and unlikely to me, but I could be wrong.

Jc.

DACS is the bain of anyones life who has a modem device hanging off
the end; your Internet experence is capped at 31kbps, often very much
lower. Removal of these detested units is all but impossible [unless
you are going to, and can have, ADSL].

The removal of a DACS unit needs the availability of a pair of wires
available all the way back to the exchange, these may not exist
without additional capacity being provided.

What would be very much fairer would be a substational reduction in
the service charge for the line [interesting it's no longer called
line rental] thus creating a demand for DACS connection thus freeing
up circuits for thos wishing to have an unafflicted service.

DAVID BRADLEY
Old January 20th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:08:21 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

DACS is the bain of anyones life who has a modem device hanging off
the end; your Internet experence is capped at 31kbps, often very much
lower. Removal of these detested units is all but impossible

In July last year as part of the revised USO OFTEL required BT and
Kingston Comms to take all reasonable steps to remove DACS from lines
used for internet access. It should therefore be possible to get a
pair to your self, even if they DACS someone else to provide it -
which may not be an issue if they only use it for voice or fax.

Phil