Slightly OT - Port 25?

Old January 20th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Heel

Default Slightly OT - Port 25?

I have a friend who bought a Time computer recently. When I went round to
give him a hand to set it up (the blind leading the blind) there was no way
we could connect to the internet except via SupaNet because the modem was
'optimised' for this ISP. Locked on to would be a more appropriate
statement. Accordingly we set up a PAYG account as a temporary measure
because he couldn't access his Freeserve Anytime account as it was
impossible to access any other web page bar the Supanet registration one.
He has now applied for Supanet broadband (modem should arrive tomorrow) so
I'd like to try and sort out his e-mail problems before that.

Basically on Freeserve he had his own fully operational mail server but
since we've installed Supanet all manner of (minor) things have gone wrong
with the Outlook Express system. Would somebody please explain about Port
25 as one of the error messages mentioned this. When he used Freeserve
there were no problems with his mail server or his Freeserve e-mail
addresses. Is it possible that Port 25 is closed on Supanet but wasn't on
Freeserve?

Sorry the explanation is a bit vague but hopefully someone might be able to
see what I'm getting at.

Thank you.

Regards

Heel

Old January 20th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Heel" wrote in message
[...]

Port 25 is the SMTP port. It is blocked by most ISP's to stop spamming from
anywhere other than thier main server, where thay can track it.
It is also blocked on Freeserve, i guess it is on SupaNet too.

Its likely to be blocked on the btoadband service too, most ISP dont allow
servers, and it is a direct violation of thier terms of service.

Old January 20th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Heel

"HamMan" said
Port 25 is the SMTP port. It is blocked by most ISP's to stop spamming

from
anywhere other than thier main server, where thay can track it.
It is also blocked on Freeserve, i guess it is on SupaNet too.

Its likely to be blocked on the btoadband service too, most ISP dont allow
servers, and it is a direct violation of thier terms of service.

Thank you HamMan

Regards

Heel

Old January 21st 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Squet34785

Heel wrote:
Would somebody please
explain about Port 25 as one of the error messages mentioned this.

Am I right in thinking that you are attempting to send mail using your
friend's old Freeserve account while you are connected to SupaNet? Most ISPs
will restrict relaying (sending mail to outside email addresses) to their
'pool' of IP addresses, so that the only people allowed to send email
through their servers are their own customers. This means that when you
attempt to send an email through Freeserve's SMTP server (on port 25, by the
way) it checks your IP address, sees that you have a SupaNet IP address and
not a Freeserve one, and therefore stops you from sending your email.

You could still use your Freeserve settings for your incoming server, but
just change the outgoing server to SupaNet's SMTP server (probably something
like mail.supanet.com).