Netgear WG602v2 SSID broadcast

Old January 21st 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

Default Netgear WG602v2 SSID broadcast

I have a Netgear WG602v2 WAP running firmware version 2.0rc5.

I've disabled SSID broadcast through its config. screen, yet the SSID is
still visible to my PC using a WG 511.

Anyone know how to turn off SSID broadcast on this WAP?

MTIA, if replying by email please use address in sig

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old January 21st 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Brian McIlwrath
writes
bof wrote:
: I've disabled SSID broadcast through its config. screen, yet the SSID is
: still visible to my PC using a WG 511.

Are you sure you have understood things correctly? Disabling SSID
broadcast *SHOULD* stop the base station randomly broadcasting it. HOWEVER
SSID is needed to establish a connection and (on Windows XP at least) the
laptop (or whatever) will itself cycle through SSIDs on its "known" list
and the base station will respond to the correct one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the 'known' SSID from the laptop so
it wouldn't know what to look for and it could still see the WAP's SSID
on the stations list, but couldn't connect, I guess the laptop could
have remembered what it was previously set to even though I couldn't see
it in the config screens, I'll check later by configing the WAP with a
random name unknown to the laptop card.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

currently listening to "Tall Trees" by Crowded House