Broadband / BT phone package

Old January 21st 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

Default Broadband / BT phone package

I'm thinking of upgrading to a broadband internet connection, as I
currently have a standard dial-up pay-as-you-go connection with
Tiscali.

I live in an area which does not have Telewest / NTL access.

This means I can't bundle my TV, Phone and Web requirements.

I'm happy enough with Freeview anyway, but I would like to minimise my
phone bill, given that I won't be using the BT line for dial up
anymore.

What are my options for broadband providers (economy, rather than
speed being the priority)?

What is the best BT call package to go for (I'm finding it difficult
to get information about BT package costs)?

Thanks.
Old January 21st 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Keith" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of upgrading to a broadband internet connection, as I
currently have a standard dial-up pay-as-you-go connection with
Tiscali.

I live in an area which does not have Telewest / NTL access.

This means I can't bundle my TV, Phone and Web requirements.

I'm happy enough with Freeview anyway, but I would like to minimise my
phone bill, given that I won't be using the BT line for dial up
anymore.

What are my options for broadband providers (economy, rather than
speed being the priority)?

There are a couple of ISP's offering an 150K ADSL service including Tiscali
and Plusnet from around £15/16/month

However, you can get 512K services from around £19 (i.e. Plusnet) and this
is the speed I would choose as you don't really experience the full
"benefits" of broadband at 150K (though it does depend a bit on your usage)

What is the best BT call package to go for (I'm finding it difficult
to get information about BT package costs)?

The best BT call package depends on your calling pattern

The cheapest BT call package that you can get (if you have ADSL) is their
Standard package - it costs £10.50/month (£9.50 if you pay by direct debit)
and comes with a £2.15/month call allowance. - see
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2DD12327

Regards
Sunil

Old January 21st 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"Keith" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of upgrading to a broadband internet connection, as I
currently have a standard dial-up pay-as-you-go connection with
Tiscali.

I live in an area which does not have Telewest / NTL access.

This means I can't bundle my TV, Phone and Web requirements.

Not a problem.

I'm happy enough with Freeview anyway, but I would like to minimise my
phone bill, given that I won't be using the BT line for dial up
anymore.

What are my options for broadband providers (economy, rather than
speed being the priority)?

-Tiscali is fairly low cost, I belive a 150k package is £15.99 - including
setup and modem
-Plusnet provide the same speed for £14.99 a month excluding setup and modem
as a trial

This is low speed broadband, as for ISP's I prefer plusnet because they are
an excellent company for account features and customer support. I would not
however be happy with 150k and would go for a 512 connection from plusnet
instead where plusnet are cheaper (with initial costs higher and cheaper
after 12 or so months), or the same price (24.99 a month with modem and
connection).

I would say don't be tempted by the free modem and connection unless this is
actually what you need, if you have more than one pc (or may need more than
one) or the usb modem isn't sutiable then don't get the offers. Personally I
would only go for a Router soloution and if I did want a modem soloution I
would go for PCI and not usb.

What is the best BT call package to go for (I'm finding it difficult
to get information about BT package costs)?

This depends entirely on your usage pattern. For customers with a single
line you will probably find that talktalk from carphone warehouse which
basically mirrors the BT Packages but cheaper would be better with the
advantage of the BT Call allowance accessible on 1280 prefix.

The important thing to do is to select BT Basic line rental at 9.50 (by
direct debit). If you make alot of off peak or peak calls then one of the
packages may be better for you, you need to look at your usage and consider
if this is the case.

You may consider using a lower pence per min carrier pre select provider if
one of the bt packages isn't needed (i.e. lower usage). Daytime calls
needn't cost on average more than 2ppm (and can be as low as 1ppm), off peak
should be around 1ppm with relative ease.

Post more info and we will be able to give more information.

Sam

Thanks.

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293. This email have been certified Virus free using AVG

Old January 22nd 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:42:53 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

There are a couple of ISP's offering an 150K ADSL service including Tiscali
and Plusnet from around £15/16/month

note these are available on a limited number of exchanges

However, you can get 512K services from around £19 (i.e. Plusnet) and this
is the speed I would choose as you don't really experience the full
"benefits" of broadband at 150K (though it does depend a bit on your usage)

agreed, the "low speed" products are actually often 2Mb/s links to the
exchange with speed limiting / congestion at the exchange. There have
been some performance issues with these products getting 100k or less.

http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo has a llow minimum spend, it
isn't the cheapest if you use it a lot put people seem to report
sepnding less than £15/month and say they aren't light users.

Most of these cheap deals hit you with more startup costs, you can pay
around £24/month and have no upfront cost which may be cheaper over 12
months than a £19/month service

Phil
Old January 22nd 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:36:05 -0000, "Martin²"
wrote:

If you don't need the BT line for phone calls, your best solution is to get
together with a neighbour who has ADSL and share it via wireless. That way
you can cancel your BT line altogether.
Sharing a PlusNet 512kbps would only cost you £9.50 each.
Regards,
Martin

supplier for your phone calls. This arrangement assumes you have:
* A BT line - Just pay their line retal
* An ISP of your choice - Pay them for your ADSL service
* A third party telephone provider - Pay them for your calls
This mix and match, chosen carefully, will give you the lowest charges
with no comprimise on quality.

Installation from your telephone socket means the ADSL filter is
plugged in, from which you connect your ADSL modem on one leg and the
other leg has a prefix dialler plugged in. You then plug your analogue
equipment into the prefix dialler. Some prefix diallers have two
outlet sockets which is quite handy.

Your telephone number does not change, all that happens is that
outgoing calls are routed via your third part telephone supplier, most
of whom have lower package rates than anything on offer from BT.

I accept there are some issues of connectivity to some specific
numbers which can not be reached using a third part supplier.

My choice was Nildram for ADSL and Barringtons for analogue services.

DAVID BRADLEY