Dropping Connection

Old January 21st 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Portess

Default Dropping Connection

Can anybody help please. I have an MRI PCI ADSL modem using a Globespan
Virata chipset. The modem conencts to the internet no problem but when I
try to play Red Alert 2 online it drops the connection after about 5 minutes
of game play. I have the latest driver, have re-installed the driver, tried
moving the mdoem to different slots on the motherboard (ASUS A7V600 Via
chipset KT600).

Are there issues with my modem and motherboard or is it something else. I
had no problems with the modem on my Jetway motherboard in my old PC.

I am running XP home (problem occurs still if I use XP Pro), system is
XP2500, PC2700 256Mb, SATA 80 Gb HD, Soundblaster 4.1 digital soundcard.

Thanks,

Andy

Old January 21st 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G Crozier

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:45:49 -0000, "Andrew Portess"
wrote:
I am running XP home (problem occurs still if I use XP Pro), system is
XP2500, PC2700 256Mb, SATA 80 Gb HD, Soundblaster 4.1 digital soundcard.

Only thought I have is that you are being more than a little tight
with the PC2700 I have 1.024MB in mine I started off with 512MB when I
first changed over to a DDR board .
Grant .
Old January 22nd 04, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Games and P2P downloads often swamp USB and cheap PCI ADSL modems which rely
on the computer CPU.
You may need a quality ethernet modem (router) like Draytek Vigor 2600.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 22nd 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , G Crozier
writes
I am running XP home (problem occurs still if I use XP Pro), system is
XP2500, PC2700 256Mb, SATA 80 Gb HD, Soundblaster 4.1 digital soundcard.

Only thought I have is that you are being more than a little tight with
the PC2700 I have 1.024MB in mine

Or more to the point, are you overclocking this system? The A7V600
coupled with the XP2500 Barton is a fabulous combination (I've built 3
systems with it that run XP3200) but you do need to know what you're
doing.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old January 24th 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Portess

"Martin²" wrote in message
news
Games and P2P downloads often swamp USB and cheap PCI ADSL modems which

rely
on the computer CPU.
You may need a quality ethernet modem (router) like Draytek Vigor 2600.
Regards,
Martin

The modem performed fine with in my Celeron 600 system but when I built my
Athlon based system I started to have problems. On the old system I had no
probs with Win XP Pro or Win ME. On the new system I get the problem but
have only tried Win XP Home (I don't want to use ME or XP Pro on this
system). I am not overclocking as the 2500 is plenty fast enough.

When browsing the internet there are no problems but when I play online
games i disconnect - would this suggest the modem is OK and that the extra
load of the game play is causing problems, i.e. more memory required as
somebody pointed out?

Thanks,

Andy

Old January 24th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Andrew Portess wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message
news
[...]

Seeing that you're now using a AMD processor you may have fallen into the
VIA USB Chipset problem. I would suggest that you check to see what your
chipset is. If it is a VIA then there are various things you can try (up to
date drivers etc) but the thing that always seems to beat it is to use one
of your PCI slots, get a Belkin USB card & use that for your connection (
there have been reports of powered USB hubs also curing your problem as
well)..

Old January 24th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Portess

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Andrew Portess wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message
news
[...]

The modem is an internal PCI ADSL modem made by MRI.co.uk. It does not use
the USB port. Today I stuck in a further 256 Mb of memory and although it
improved things a little bit I still got disconnects whilst playing Red
Alert 2 online; just took longer for the fist disco to come along. The
control panely within Windows XP for the modem indicates 'No Signal' and
then goes into training beofre finally reconnecting - once reconencted
though it is a very poor connection and the game slwos right down. This
mdoem worked fine in ME and XP pro on my old computer what do I need to do
to start enjoying it again.

Thanks,

Andy

Old January 24th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Andrew Portess wrote:
"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Andrew Portess wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message
news Games and P2P downloads often swamp USB and cheap PCI ADSL modems
[...]

Well you've now given more information so the next poster will be able to
give a more educated guess. If you don't supply all the specifics, just how
do you expect to get any meaningful suggestions??

Old January 25th 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Portess

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Andrew Portess wrote:
"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Andrew Portess wrote:
"Martin²" wrote in message
[...]

The original post contained all the information I had at the time; I had not
checked the control panel as it is not visible during game play - normally
anyway. I have the latest drivers from the MRI website and as mentioned
earlier the modem is perfect for normal internet use and downloads at good
speed (50 - 60 kbps). Only problem is the modem or or something in my system
doesn't like the pressure of on-line gaming.

Help!!!!

Thanks,

Andy

Old January 25th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Only problem is the modem or or something in my system doesn't like
the pressure of on-line gaming

I had a similar problem with Half-Life when I was using a 1Ghz Duron and
a USB modem - I found a section in the half-life config that let me
restrict the frames per second and this helped quite a bit (but it still
happened a little too often for my liking). I moved over to a router and
haven`t had a problem since :-p