Tiscali 150kbs broadband

Old January 22nd 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

Default Tiscali 150kbs broadband

I have just signed up to Tiscali broadband 150kbs, and was wondering if
anyone else here had tried it.

The data rate seems to be 4 times faster than my modem, so large files
download well. Unfortunately, there seems to be a 20 second delay before
any data starts coming, so it is actually slower than my dialup modem for
viewing web pages. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Bob

Old January 22nd 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Josey" wrote in message

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
I have just signed up to Tiscali broadband 150kbs, and was wondering if
anyone else here had tried it.

The data rate seems to be 4 times faster than my modem, so large files
download well. Unfortunately, there seems to be a 20 second delay

before
any data starts coming, so it is actually slower than my dialup modem

for
viewing web pages. Does anyone else have this problem?

Try different DNS servers, that could be the cause.

Jc.

Thanks for that. Do I have to get a list from Tiscali? Or are there some
anyone can use?

Bob

Old January 22nd 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Josey wrote:

"Bob Smith" wrote in

Thanks for that. Do I have to get a list from Tiscali? Or are
there some anyone can use?

I don't recall anyone else complaining about Tiscalli's DNS recently
servers so it might not be that. Worth going over to
www.adslguide.org and seeing if anyone else has a similar problem
(use the search function in the forums).

Otherwise you could try ns0.pipex.net as your dns server just to test
to see if that sorts it.

Jc.

Er, how's he supposed to get to ns0.pipex.net without first resolving its IP
address by using a *different* DNS server? [Ever tried to lift yourself by
standing in a bucket and pulling on the handle?]

To use the pipex server, it is necessary to use its IP address, which
appears to be:
158.43.128.8

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 22nd 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Josey wrote:

"Bob Smith" wrote in

Thanks for that. Do I have to get a list from Tiscali? Or are
there some anyone can use?

I don't recall anyone else complaining about Tiscalli's DNS recently
servers so it might not be that. Worth going over to
www.adslguide.org and seeing if anyone else has a similar problem
(use the search function in the forums).

Otherwise you could try ns0.pipex.net as your dns server just to test
to see if that sorts it.

Jc.

Er, how's he supposed to get to ns0.pipex.net without first resolving its

IP
address by using a *different* DNS server? [Ever tried to lift yourself by
standing in a bucket and pulling on the handle?]

To use the pipex server, it is necessary to use its IP address, which
appears to be:
158.43.128.8

Thanks everyone. The DNS server is working though (I do get a web page
after about 20 seconds). I will put the numbers in tonight to see if that
one is faster (assuming pipex let other folk use their servers)

Bob

Old January 22nd 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve h

Hi,

Mine works fine for web and audio streams at 128k with no problems but the
news server is too slow to be of any use, anyone know an alternative news
server other than the standard ??

Steve H

Old January 22nd 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In message , steve h
writes:

Hi,

Mine works fine for web and audio streams at 128k with no problems but the
news server is too slow to be of any use, anyone know an alternative news
server other than the standard ??

news.individual.net - text-only, but lets you be ISP independent.
Supports NewNews.

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and
Old January 23rd 04, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Josey wrote:

"Bob Smith" wrote in

[...]

Well, it would not connect when I put Tiscali's DNS numbers in, or the pipex
ones. Maybe I have to put the WINS numbers in that are on the same screen.

I went through the tiscali connection help screen, and noticed that
"compress IP headers" was turned off on my settings, but not theirs. I
think it may have speeded it up a bit, but I could be imagining it.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Bob

Old January 23rd 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:28:39 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"
wrote:

Anyone got any more ideas?

what download speed do you get, for example the adslguide speed test
at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Interesting to see if you have just a delay or a speed problem as well

Phil
Old January 23rd 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

wrote:

Anyone got any more ideas?

what download speed do you get, for example the adslguide speed test
at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Interesting to see if you have just a delay or a speed problem as well

Phil

OK, will try that tonight when I am at home. I think the speed is OK though
(17k/sec on 150kbs).

Tiscali actually replied to my email. They mentioned firewall software may
be getting in the way, and that it is known to slow data rates down.
Something about selecting 56k as my connection speed when I installed it.
They suggested uninstalling it, and if I wanted to use it, to tell it I had
ASDL during the installation process. I have zonealarm (which they
mentioned) so will try this, although it sounds like a smokescreen answer to
me.

Bob

Old January 24th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

wrote:

Anyone got any more ideas?

what download speed do you get, for example the adslguide speed test
at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Interesting to see if you have just a delay or a speed problem as well

Phil

I get 152kbs downstream, and 260kbs upstream.

Bob