BT Badged 5861- Default settings

Old January 22nd 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Mevel

Default BT Badged 5861- Default settings

Hi Gang!

No doubt, BT is the master at "the runaround". But anyway. I have a client
who has signed up with BT and has been provisioned with 500K Business
broadband account. Being as customer service oriented as BT is they shipped
the client a featureless 5861, 8 static IP Addresses, An engineer who
could/would not configure their small network (nor could he speak english)
and an invoice for over £300.

Today the client has nice new phone jack in her office a big ugly box with
wires hanging out of it, a much lighter purse, and no broadband connection.
I went in to try to staighten her network out and was given everything that
BT had provided her. Included in the package was of course the BT software
installation disk. The disk was of no help as it was actually set up to
configure the clients machine to dialup to BT openworld PAYG Service. No
problem I thought, I have her BT username and password I'll just set up the
router manually. Couldn't get to the router even after trying to get to it
via the IPAddresses supplied by BT then restting the router and attempting
just about every typical default Class A,B and C IPaddress. All I want is
to get to the admin interface on the router so that I can get the thing
working for the ever so much poorer client.

Any Suggestions????

Steve

Old January 22nd 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:50:32 -0000, "Stephen Mevel"
wrote:

Any Suggestions????

Shamless self promotion - but see http://snipurl.com/2vf4 for a decent
guide on the 5861.

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old January 22nd 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

All I want is
to get to the admin interface on the router so that I can get the thing
working for the ever so much poorer client.

Any Suggestions????

I have one of these installed some time ago (and now redundant). The IP
address is 192.168.254.254 and note that it requires a crossed cable from a
hub, or a straight cable from a crosslinked port on a hub.

HTH

JP

Old January 23rd 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

You have to call bt for the ip address. it is not .254.254 as it should have
an internet ip. Remember u said she had 8 ip addresses? assume the last one
or the first one is the ip address of the router. set your pc to one of the
mid-range ip addresses and use the supplied subnet mask.

bart

Old January 23rd 04, 03:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Whitcombe

"Infant Newbie" wrote in message
You have to call bt for the ip address. it is not .254.254 as it should

have
an internet ip. Remember u said she had 8 ip addresses? assume the last

one
or the first one is the ip address of the router. set your pc to one of

the
mid-range ip addresses and use the supplied subnet mask.

Or alternatively assuming the admin has been disabled and go into it via the
serial port initially.

Old January 23rd 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G

Richard Whitcombe wrote:

"Infant Newbie" wrote in message
You have to call bt for the ip address. it is not .254.254 as it should

have
an internet ip. Remember u said she had 8 ip addresses? assume the last

one
or the first one is the ip address of the router. set your pc to one of

the
mid-range ip addresses and use the supplied subnet mask.

Or alternatively assuming the admin has been disabled and go into it via
the serial port initially.

The router has an IP address of 192.168.254.254 if it's nat or no nat .If
you have no nat it should respond to the first usable IP address in your
allocation as well.
As to logging in via the serial port ,remember that the router is part of
BT's network and interfering with the same constitutes an offence .
--
Outgoings certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9