BT Broadband voice on Telewest?

Old January 22nd 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Dave

Default BT Broadband voice on Telewest?

Currently I have a BT line (with TalkTalk on CPS) for all my voice
calls, and cable broadband from Telewest because ADSL is not yet
available in my area.

BT Broadband voice looks quite interesting, and not bad at £7.50 a
month. Does anyone know if it is compatible with cable broadband
lines?

If it is compatible, I would seriously consider using it as my sole
line for making calls and stop using my 'real' BT line altogether.

--
All mail sent to this address will be spam filtered by Spam Interceptor
If replying you may be asked to confirm that your mail is genuine.
Old January 22nd 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
dd

Dave wrote:
Currently I have a BT line (with TalkTalk on CPS) for all
my voice calls, and cable broadband from Telewest because
ADSL is not yet available in my area.

BT Broadband voice looks quite interesting, and not bad
at £7.50 a month. Does anyone know if it is compatible
with cable broadband lines?

If it is compatible, I would seriously consider using it
as my sole line for making calls and stop using my 'real'
BT line altogether.

Yes, it is, I've been using it now since not long after it launched via
blueyonder broadband without any problems. I also have it as my only 'fixed'
line which isnt too bad, I have a mobile as my main phone for emergency/power
cut etc.

Old January 22nd 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Dave

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:14:56 -0000, "dd" wrote:

Yes, it is, I've been using it now since not long after it launched via
blueyonder broadband without any problems. I also have it as my only 'fixed'
line which isnt too bad, I have a mobile as my main phone for emergency/power
cut etc.

On a similar note, thinking ahead to when ADSL does finally become
available in my area - which should be fairly soon since the target
has been reached, BT have just not set a date yet - is it possible to
have an ADSL connection without having to pay line rental to BT? If
the line was used solely for broadband access and not for voice calls,
would I still have to pay the line rental or just the ISP fee?

Old January 22nd 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Kráftéé

Dave wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:14:56 -0000, "dd" wrote:

Yes, it is, I've been using it now since not long after it
launched via blueyonder broadband without any problems. I also
have it as my only 'fixed' line which isnt too bad, I have a
mobile as my main phone for emergency/power cut etc.

On a similar note, thinking ahead to when ADSL does finally become
available in my area - which should be fairly soon since the target
has been reached, BT have just not set a date yet - is it possible
to have an ADSL connection without having to pay line rental to BT?
If the line was used solely for broadband access and not for voice
calls, would I still have to pay the line rental or just the ISP
fee?

Fraid you need a BT line to carry the DSL so you will need to pay rental for
that line. You can always use a TPC to make any calls though...

Old February 9th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ian Stirling

In uk.telecom.broadband Kr?ft?? wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:14:56 -0000, "dd" wrote:

Yes, it is, I've been using it now since not long after it
launched via blueyonder broadband without any problems. I also
have it as my only 'fixed' line which isnt too bad, I have a
mobile as my main phone for emergency/power cut etc.

On a similar note, thinking ahead to when ADSL does finally become
available in my area - which should be fairly soon since the target
has been reached, BT have just not set a date yet - is it possible
to have an ADSL connection without having to pay line rental to BT?
If the line was used solely for broadband access and not for voice
calls, would I still have to pay the line rental or just the ISP
fee?

Fraid you need a BT line to carry the DSL so you will need to pay rental for
that line. You can always use a TPC to make any calls though...

Is it possible to put the line the phone line sits on on "incoming calls
only" ?
Or is there not any tarrif reduction.
Old February 9th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jasper

Dave wrote:
[...]

ADSL will work if the line is configured OCB but the line rental
remains the same.

Old February 9th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ivor Jones

"Jasper" wrote in message

[snip]

ADSL will work if the line is configured OCB but the line rental
remains the same.

Are you sure..? A friend ran into money problems due to work difficulties
a few years ago and I'm sure he had his phone set to incoming only for a
reduction in rental. I'm not 100% sure though and I'll ask, but I thought
there was some reduction in certain circumstances.

Ivor

Old February 9th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jasper

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:05:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Jasper" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

ADSL will work if the line is configured OCB but the line rental
remains the same.

Are you sure..? A friend ran into money problems due to work difficulties
a few years ago and I'm sure he had his phone set to incoming only for a
reduction in rental. I'm not 100% sure though and I'll ask, but I thought
there was some reduction in certain circumstances.

Ivor

The only reduced rental line I know of is the light user scheme but
this is not allowed as an adsl line.

Old February 9th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ivor Jones

"Jasper" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:05:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Jasper" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

ADSL will work if the line is configured OCB but the line rental
remains the same.

Are you sure..? A friend ran into money problems due to work

difficulties
a few years ago and I'm sure he had his phone set to incoming only for

reduction in rental. I'm not 100% sure though and I'll ask, but I

thought
there was some reduction in certain circumstances.

Ivor

The only reduced rental line I know of is the light user scheme but
this is not allowed as an adsl line.

Only if they know about it..! I know of at least one instance of ADSL on a
LUS line..! (No, not me..!)

Ivor

Old February 10th 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Brian McIlwrath

In uk.telecom.broadband Ivor Jones wrote:
:
: The only reduced rental line I know of is the light user scheme but
: this is not allowed as an adsl line.

: Only if they know about it..! I know of at least one instance of ADSL on a
: LUS line..! (No, not me..!)

This is a mistake by BT then!!! They will refuse to allow carrier selection
prefixes on LUS lines - and ADSL should come into that category! It's also
hard to get onto LUS without several quarters bills in their target range.