Getting Broadband help!

Old January 22nd 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default Getting Broadband help!

There are two parts to this I may require some technical help with so here
goes.

1. Have attempted and failed to get BB through plus net due to distance from
the exchange.
BT have stated on the phone that it is available and I have placed an order
through their website which I expect to be rejected.

2. There is a now disconnected line comes into my house which was a low loss
business line installed by my previous employer. This line was installed by
BT but the was managed/Billed ??? by cable & wireless. It has only been
disconnected in the last month.
When I dialled up on this line I got a 44k connection speed. On dialling up
on my own home line the speed is 33k.
This suggests to me that the line C&W handled was of a better quality.

My questions a

1. if an exchange is broadband enabled but I am too far away what is the
likliehood of BT further upgrading the exchange?
2. If q1 is impossible what are my chances of getting to speak to someone
with a clue at BT to get the low loss line reconnected and recieve broadband
through that?

Any thoughts/knowledge anyone has will be much appreciate.

You would think from this that I live in the middle of nowhere
I'm actually about 4 miles outside Glasgow city centre and shocked that this
should be such an issue in a big city

Old January 22nd 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gysen

Scott wrote:

You would think from this that I live in the middle of nowhere
I'm actually about 4 miles outside Glasgow city centre and shocked that this
should be such an issue in a big city

You can get NTL cable in Glasgow can't you? .
Old January 23rd 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

In ,
Scott whispered softly in my ear....:
There are two parts to this I may require some technical help with so
here goes.

1. Have attempted and failed to get BB through plus net due to
distance from the exchange.
BT have stated on the phone that it is available and I have placed
an order through their website which I expect to be rejected.

Did an engineer come out and test your line? or did Plusnet reject it
according to the info on the BT database?
If you haven't had an engineer testing the line, try contacting Plusnet
and telling them you want to place another order on the extended reach
thing. This is how I finally got my adsl....I have had adsl via Plusnet
now for about 4 months..and according to the BT telephone number checker,
I am not able to have adsl as I am too far from the exchange!
Please don't give up...keep on plugging away till you get an engineer out
to test the line..the nice young man who tested mine was smashing :-)

--
Ticketty᧧

Old January 23rd 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Not in the part where I live
For some strange reason this is a new housing estate where BT must have
given someone a backhander to keep NTL out
Now there is absolutely no chance of them cabling our street!!!
"Anton Gysen" wrote in
message ...

Old January 23rd 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Scott wrote:
Not in the part where I live
For some strange reason this is a new housing estate where BT must
have given someone a backhander to keep NTL out

Think you'll find it's more like NTL hasn't got the money to cable your
estate. Here in the midlands there are more than a few new estates where
NTL even went as far as duct work & cable boxes, then found they hadn't got
the budget to actually use them.....