Filter Question!

Old January 22nd 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Franklin P Patchey

Default Filter Question!

Hi,

I am (possibly stupidly) slightly confused about the postioning of the
microfilters for an ADSL line......

Imagine I have 1 phone socket in my room and want to attach 3 pieces of
equipment to it (two phones and the ADSL modem)....

Do I put the filter directly into the socket connect the ADSL modem to the
port on the filter and insert a socket doubler into the single (normal)
phone port on the filter and plug in the two phones,
or........
do I have to have each phone connected to a filter i.e. plug two filters
into a socket doubler (plugged into the main socket) and connect each phone
to a separate filter..

Thanks for any advise.

Old January 22nd 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:48:38 -0000, "Franklin P Patchey"
wrote:

Hi,

I am (possibly stupidly) slightly confused about the postioning of the
microfilters for an ADSL line......

Imagine I have 1 phone socket in my room and want to attach 3 pieces of
equipment to it (two phones and the ADSL modem)....

Do I put the filter directly into the socket connect the ADSL modem to the
port on the filter and insert a socket doubler into the single (normal)
phone port on the filter and plug in the two phones,
or........
do I have to have each phone connected to a filter i.e. plug two filters
into a socket doubler (plugged into the main socket) and connect each phone
to a separate filter..

Thanks for any advise.

I am no expert on these matters, but I would say that you plug your
filter into the socket, then a two way adapter on the analogue phone
socket of the filter to which you can plug your two phones into. The
other unused socket on the filter would be your ADSL connection point.

Looks a bit of a mess of course.

Some lower cost filters might not be able to handle this
configuration, so chose a quality product.

DAVID BRADLEY

Old January 22nd 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Franklin P Patchey
wrote:
Do I put the filter directly into the socket connect the ADSL modem to the
port on the filter and insert a socket doubler into the single (normal)
phone port on the filter and plug in the two phones,
or........
do I have to have each phone connected to a filter i.e. plug two filters
into a socket doubler (plugged into the main socket) and connect each phone
to a separate filter..

It doesn't matter. One filter is cheaper than lots of filters of course, but
as long as all analogue phone equipment is fed through a filter, and the ADSL
modem isn't, just use whatever arrangement looks neatest. The ADSL output of
one of those double adaptor filters is actually an unfiltered pass-through
connection, so you wouldn't need a filter at all on a socket that only has an
ADSL modem plugged into it.

Rod.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock

wrote:

Hi,

I am (possibly stupidly) slightly confused about the postioning of the
microfilters for an ADSL line......

Imagine I have 1 phone socket in my room and want to attach 3 pieces of
equipment to it (two phones and the ADSL modem)....

Do I put the filter directly into the socket connect the ADSL modem to the
port on the filter and insert a socket doubler into the single (normal)
phone port on the filter and plug in the two phones,
do I have to have each phone connected to a filter i.e. plug two filters
into a socket doubler (plugged into the main socket) and connect each phone
to a separate filter..

Thanks for any advise [advice].

That's what I've done and it works perfectly.

Can even use dialup on the phone line from the second computer.

--
Jock.